Betta fish / Siamese fighting fish

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Cabombas will do it. I prefer driftwoods over castles any day. I'd shred some oak or Indian almond leaves as well for the bottom. Leaf litter looks nice especially in a heavily tinted tank.

FishCrazie48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2009
Kentucky
Sounds like a good idea to me I have my gorgeous male betta in a 5 gallon and he is so much happier than when I have him in a 1.5 for a while. Put a bigger cave in there with him. Was planning on gettting him one of those betta leaf hammocks and maybe a floating log to swim through when I place another major online order.
Good Luck!

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
If you do use IAL, make sure you remove the leaf after it has turned soft and all the tannins has come out. It can become toxic if you leave the leaf in there for a while after it has start to rot. The leaf is not the purpose, its the tannins itself.

EmilyMarie85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Boise, ID
BIG_ONE;3872869; said:
Ok, I can chime on you here. I'm a long time hardcore betta guy dealing from all sorts of fancies to fighters.
Here's what I can tell you, #1 rule is...KEEP ALL MALES BY THEMSELVES. Betta are by far one of the hardiest fish you will see alive to date on earth. All males are solitary fish, you should not even try to keep a female with it. A male will kill her even if they have bred before. It's not like any ordinary breeding pair out there that will stick together. A betta will do fine in a 1 gallon all by themselves. 8 gallon is more than enough for them. Just add gravels and some low lighting plants or a lucky bamboo tree(I prefer lucky bamboo tree, they are very helpful here).
If you want a healthy betta, I highly recommend you to purchase some IAL(indian almond leaf) overseas. Aquabid do have them in stock also. BWE(Black Water Extract) works good also, ABS(Atison Betta Spa) is also a good deal but I prefer BWE and it's best to go with IAL. It's natural acid helps reduce the betta stress and also have a tendency to reduce diseases. It is also used to heal a betta from injuries also but nothing can compete with dead or sun dried banana leaves(dead is better).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Louie_Hawj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
Toccoa Falls, GA
If you are planning to breed them, i recommend getting Hikari First Bites, for them it works pretty good on growing them. Also here are some pictures of my breeding pair

male6 sm.jpg

DSC_3967 sm.jpg

egg male sm.jpg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2009
maryland
when i tried breeding my bettas i had nothing in it besides fake plants floating at water level inside my 10 gallon tank and i had a female betta separated using a clear container hanging on the inside of the 10 gallon tank. After seeing a huge bubble nest i would let the female join the male betta. after that just watched them do their magic. i took the female out after the bettas placed their eggs in the bubbles. then when the eggs hatch i took the male bettas out too. unfortunately all my fries died because i was not able to keep up with the feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store