Better tank lids?

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
I have a 125 gallon tank with 3 lids and the seam/hinge keeps breaking, I have Aqueon lids. Anyone know of any better lids or ideas to keep them from breaking? The tank is 72x18 with 3 lids.

image.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Reactions: Backfromthedead

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I've never seen that happen. How old are those lids? I wouldn't expect them to last forever, but they should last a long time.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
No plastic hinge will last and you really don’t need it. I pulled the broken hinge out and do without it. It’s easier to clean without the hinge, and I can still flip the lid to feed or lift it out in WC.

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
No plastic hinge will last and you really don’t need it. I pulled the broken hinge out and do without it. It’s easier to clean without the hinge, and I can still flip the lid to feed or lift it out in WC.
Yea that’s probably what I’m going to do

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Without the hinge it is very easy for the front glass to fall into the tank. The more oblong, the worse the probability.
In 40+ years I've broken enough glass lids that I don't use them any more. I like Lexan polycarbonate.

You can make the glass "hinge" with silicone glue. Put waxed paper on the table and tape the glass down with a nice gap to form the hinge. Not too wide or the lids won't fit!

Make sure the glass is chemically clean and make a wide, thin, tooled bead. When it dries it should flex enough to serve as a hinge.
If the glass wasn't clean, it will start peeling off quickly.

Reactions: deeda

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Another idea is to drill a 40mm hole through your lid. This is big enough for feeding but small enough that fish can't jump out. So you don't need to remove lids as much.

The hole makes for an easy way to lift lids out as well.

Reactions: Ulu

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I get pane glass cut to size at the hardware store, then lay two of them in the space so i can slide them back and forth. Works well for me, just make sure you sand off the cut glass edges so they dont slice you open.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store