BGK and Plecos

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I've always loved the BGK, ever since I was a kid. I really want one again since I own a much larger tank. I however have expensive plecos. I dont want anyone getting stressed, injured or dying. Compatible or no? Need input before buying lol

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Never had an issue when I had them together. Since both species tend to hide in tight spaces, always provide plenty of hiding spots for both species to prevent any territorial battles.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
T thefredpit Green Phantom, Vampire, Golden Vampire, King Tiger, Para, and 2 clowns.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
the only ones I would be worried about would be the clowns and king tiger because of size. I have a green phantom and a sultan with mine with no problem other than the BGK chasing the sultan out of his hide

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
My King Tiger is on the bigger side, but the Para and clowns are kinda small. I can see that being an issue down the road when the fish gets large. I love my plecos, but I love that Knife. Its a hard one. I rather not see anyone die.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
the para will get big enough that is why I didn't mention it the clowns though are so small. You might do an african knife they stay smaller

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I mean ultimately I can see a full sized knife eating the smaller plecos without hesitation. So I can understand peoples concerns in that aspect. I mean it seems most of you keep plecos with your knives and dont have issues

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
yeah most plecos work with BGK except the really small ones and sometimes Pterygoplichthys have problems with sucking their slimecoat but other than that they usually work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store