BGKs are weird

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Not a question, just a bit of a rant.

I've heard all about BGKs eating small tankmates. There were accounts of both hyper-aggressive and pacifist BGKs. I wanted to introduce a 4+ inch BGK to a community setup, so to test it, I took a galaxy rasbora (the lone survivor of my dad's 10g shrimp tank) and plopped him inside my BGK's transparent hideout tube. I then plugged the two sides. There was no where for it to run.

(Hey look, I'd rather chance losing one cheap fish than a bunch of less cheap fish in one night so don't bash me for cruelty, I didn't want to.)

I watched as the BGK miss strike after strike even when the tiny thing would swim right in front of its mouth. I released the rasbora, and the BGK went into the community setup without an incident since.
With accuracy that bad, how are people having missing fish? My only explanation is that mine is simply a sucker. He is a high fin BGK, maybe the dorsal fin effects his senses (I know the electroreceptors are in the side)

He also makes clicking sounds when he eats larger foods such as algae wafers or earthworms, kind of like clown loaches. That he likes scraping away at algae wafers more than eating his pellets is weird enough, but the noises led me to discover they do actually have teeth unlike what some people claim.

They're considered fairly smart, but mine seems dumber than the goldfish I've had years ago. They would at least remember who feeds them when, even if left alone for weeks (vacation). BGKs are nearly blind though, so I instead trained mine to come out to feed with a flashlight. This routine continued for months, but then I skipped out on feeding for 2-3 days since he was getting picky and he completely forgot how to find his freaking food when I turned on the flashlight. Months later and he still gets spooked by the sound of the kids running upstairs, or even a footstep that just didn't sound right.

He's an idiot but he's a beautiful idiot.

Anyone else with weird accounts of their BGKs?

TL;DR, BGK can't catch a fish the size of his eyeball, addicted to algae wafers, makes noises when eating, really freaking stupid, afraid of nothing in the tank but deathly afraid of everything outside the tank.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
lol the couple I have had were just good hiders without much attitude, now my afer and carpo knives those are/were complete jerks who just like to chase other fish

cichla & saratogas

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
My BGK is pretty chill 2 weeks ago caught it eating some pellets i was shocked honestly it usually just eats his bloodworms.It isn't as shy as it used to be but mostly keeps to itself in its log all day.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Black ghost knives are nocturnal hunters. They don't need much accuracy when the fish are asleep. Maybe yours is a pacifist, I wouldn't count on it based on that test. Especially since he attempted to eat the rasbora.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I was very surprised years back when I noticed my years old BGK eating flakes, considering he'd only gotten bloodworm aside

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
My bgk even nibbles at zucchini, also eats pellets along with usual frozen food

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
Not a question, just a bit of a rant.

I've heard all about BGKs eating small tankmates. There were accounts of both hyper-aggressive and pacifist BGKs. I wanted to introduce a 4+ inch BGK to a community setup, so to test it, I took a galaxy rasbora (the lone survivor of my dad's 10g shrimp tank) and plopped him inside my BGK's transparent hideout tube. I then plugged the two sides. There was no where for it to run.

(Hey look, I'd rather chance losing one cheap fish than a bunch of less cheap fish in one night so don't bash me for cruelty, I didn't want to.)

I watched as the BGK miss strike after strike even when the tiny thing would swim right in front of its mouth. I released the rasbora, and the BGK went into the community setup without an incident since.
With accuracy that bad, how are people having missing fish? My only explanation is that mine is simply a sucker. He is a high fin BGK, maybe the dorsal fin effects his senses (I know the electroreceptors are in the side)

He also makes clicking sounds when he eats larger foods such as algae wafers or earthworms, kind of like clown loaches. That he likes scraping away at algae wafers more than eating his pellets is weird enough, but the noises led me to discover they do actually have teeth unlike what some people claim.

They're considered fairly smart, but mine seems dumber than the goldfish I've had years ago. They would at least remember who feeds them when, even if left alone for weeks (vacation). BGKs are nearly blind though, so I instead trained mine to come out to feed with a flashlight. This routine continued for months, but then I skipped out on feeding for 2-3 days since he was getting picky and he completely forgot how to find his freaking food when I turned on the flashlight. Months later and he still gets spooked by the sound of the kids running upstairs, or even a footstep that just didn't sound right.

He's an idiot but he's a beautiful idiot.

Anyone else with weird accounts of their BGKs?

TL;DR, BGK can't catch a fish the size of his eyeball, addicted to algae wafers, makes noises when eating, really freaking stupid, afraid of nothing in the tank but deathly afraid of everything outside the tank.
My bgk refuses live foods, but eats sinking pellets. Also, I used to have a Trinidad Pleco that didn't eat my live plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store