Bichir breeding Difficulty

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
KakaoTalk_20200814_230944969.jpg

I been bred 5 species of Polypterus till now and many people asked me which is the easiest and which is the hardest to breed and this is my answer.

First, i've been successfully breed fallow species without artificial hormone treatment.

Polypterus senegalus (CB Platinum X Nigerian WC, Nigerian WC X Nigerian WC)
Polypterus delhezi (Indonesian CB X Indonesian CB, Indonesian CB X WC, WC X WC)
Polypterus palmas "palmas" (WC X WC)
Polypterus mokelembembe (WC X WC)
Polypterus bichir (CB Nigerian X WC Koloton)

and also spawn of those species

Polypterus endlicheri (Indonesian CB X Indonesian CB)
Polypterus polli (WC X WC)

The easiest species to breed is P. senegalus as all know but it's only when the parents fish are CB.
Breeding with WC fish is much more complicate in every species.

If your parents fish are both CB, they will start breed naturally even in community tank if they are old enough and well cared enough
But with WC fish, you must be "Good enough" breeder and try everything, not just waiting for luck.

For hardest species, i don't think there is are hardest species to make spawn but just CB is easy and WC are hard if you don't use hormone injection.
If all are WC, they have quite similar difficulty but they just have different conditions by species.

The hardest species to raise them to breedable size and condition is Weeksii, Mokelembembe and retropinnis in my opinion.
Those three species will take very long to become mature. (Female mokelembembe i used for breeding was about 10 years old in my guess)

Hardest species to raise fry is all lower jaw species and mokelembembe.
Moke fry are even smaller than other bichir species and lower jaw species has too strong carnivores habit in juvenile species so they are hard to keep them in many numbers.

Hardest species to get a "Good one" was delhezi for me because it also require thremmatologyical technique.

So my recommend if you want to try to breed bichir for the first time, CB senegalus will be the easiest choice.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1467458

I been bred 5 species of Polypterus till now and many people asked me which is the easiest and which is the hardest to breed and this is my answer.

First, i've been successfully breed fallow species without artificial hormone treatment.

Polypterus senegalus (CB Platinum X Nigerian WC, Nigerian WC X Nigerian WC)
Polypterus delhezi (Indonesian CB X Indonesian CB, Indonesian CB X WC, WC X WC)
Polypterus palmas "palmas" (WC X WC)
Polypterus mokelembembe (WC X WC)
Polypterus bichir (CB Nigerian X WC Koloton)

and also spawn of those species

Polypterus endlicheri (Indonesian CB X Indonesian CB)
Polypterus polli (WC X WC)

The easiest species to breed is P. senegalus as all know but it's only when the parents fish are CB.
Breeding with WC fish is much more complicate in every species.

If your parents fish are both CB, they will start breed naturally even in community tank if they are old enough and well cared enough
But with WC fish, you must be "Good enough" breeder and try everything, not just waiting for luck.

For hardest species, i don't think there is are hardest species to make spawn but just CB is easy and WC are hard if you don't use hormone injection.
If all are WC, they have quite similar difficulty but they just have different conditions by species.

The hardest species to raise them to breedable size and condition is Weeksii, Mokelembembe and retropinnis in my opinion.
Those three species will take very long to become mature. (Female mokelembembe i used for breeding was about 10 years old in my guess)

Hardest species to raise fry is all lower jaw species and mokelembembe.
Moke fry are even smaller than other bichir species and lower jaw species has too strong carnivores habit in juvenile species so they are hard to keep them in many numbers.

Hardest species to get a "Good one" was delhezi for me because it also require thremmatologyical technique.

So my recommend if you want to try to breed bichir for the first time, CB senegalus will be the easiest choice.
Wow great information. Yes agree CB Senegal will spawn when aquarium conditions are right. Personally have had 3 different groups that spawned. It's hard to believe that Mokelembembe fry are smaller than Senegal fry.

Reactions: NCTRNL and gaisller

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Wow great information. Yes agree CB Senegal will spawn when aquarium conditions are right. Personally have had 3 different groups that spawned. It's hard to believe that Mokelembembe fry are smaller than Senegal fry.
That's not all, moke need much longer time to become mature and with much more complicate spawning condition, low fertilize rate (depend on condition), smaller fry and slow growth rate.
It's like a gift pack for someone really want to challenge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store