Bichir giving BIRTH!! Not eggs

Cootermonkey94

Feeder Fish
Aug 20, 2019
So i got a bichir from petsmart maybe a year or so ago, ive kept it in my 55 gallon long with a number of other fish, couple plecos, upside down catfish, some mosquitofish, red horse minnows and 2 killifish i caught in a drying ditch and a few black kuhli loaches.
A little over a month ago i had to move because i got a house and not wanting to take a chance on them all dying i took them to my dads house since he had a tank with a canister filter that had been emptied awhile back.
Filled it up let it cycle then brought my fish over so he could babysit while i got my tank cleaned good and set up with a sand substrate. Well last night he calls and tells me my bichir is giving birth, yes live birth.
Now back to the interesting part in the fact of there is only 1 bichir in this tank, and from what ive read they mate in pairs and lay eggs. He even got a picture of it squirting one out and apparently it had about 4 of em that he could tell.
Ill post the pictures he sent and when he wakes up im going over to try and get some more myself.IMG_5566.jpgIMG_5568.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So i got a bichir from petsmart maybe a year or so ago, ive kept it in my 55 gallon long with a number of other fish, couple plecos, upside down catfish, some mosquitofish, red horse minnows and 2 killifish i caught in a drying ditch and a few black kuhli loaches.
A little over a month ago i had to move because i got a house and not wanting to take a chance on them all dying i took them to my dads house since he had a tank with a canister filter that had been emptied awhile back.
Filled it up let it cycle then brought my fish over so he could babysit while i got my tank cleaned good and set up with a sand substrate. Well last night he calls and tells me my bichir is giving birth, yes live birth.
Now back to the interesting part in the fact of there is only 1 bichir in this tank, and from what ive read they mate in pairs and lay eggs. He even got a picture of it squirting one out and apparently it had about 4 of em that he could tell.
Ill post the pictures he sent and when he wakes up im going over to try and get some more myself.View attachment 1385131View attachment 1385132

That is a males fin. It's shaped that way. It will cup the eggs from the female and scatter them across plants or substrate.

I'm no expert, but I really don't think there is any possible way for a bichir to give birth.

I think that's an anal fin as tlindsey said.

Hao Hao J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 can you chime in on this?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I got there and figured it out, my dad was drunk and as he was watching, im guessing a kuhli was sittin under the bichir n swam out and he took it as it birthed it haha. I prolly jumped the gun puttin a post on here about it before i observed it myself or i wouldnt have bothered.
Lmao, Thread of the Day as far as I'm concerned :ROFL:Thx dad I (sincerely) needed that.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm no expert, but I really don't think there is any possible way for a bichir to give birth.

I think that's an anal fin as tlindsey said.

Hao Hao J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 can you chime in on this?

Hes just horny lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store