Bichir in guppy colony?

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Zfishies;4971648; said:
What James said and Nic ,what do u think they eat in the wild?pellets just magicaly fall from the sky??
Actually, the majority of their diet in the wild is different worms, crustaceans and frogs. Fish are a very small part of their diet.

If you're going to use feeders though, breed them yourself. Treat the initial bunch for parasites and feed them a good quality food.(One problem with commercial feeders; cheap food) There's 2 problems wiped out. Watch them for disease just like your regular fish and your issues drop way down.

Convicts are better breeders than guppies though if you're looking to use them as much more than occasional treats. Bigger broods and they guard 'em instead of eating the fry themselves. Much more prolific.

fishkeeper4244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Dont do that, i bought a inch long bichir and put it with my guppy colony. it ate all the fry and killed all the females. then i put it in my minnow tank and it ate a minnow that was too big and killed itself.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
GhostShrimpMan;4971660; said:
yup happens all the time at 5 :D
man i could use some free fish food:nilly:

Cholly;4971902; said:
Actually, the majority of their diet in the wild is different worms, crustaceans and frogs. Fish are a very small part of their diet.

If you're going to use feeders though, breed them yourself. Treat the initial bunch for parasites and feed them a good quality food.(One problem with commercial feeders; cheap food) There's 2 problems wiped out. Watch them for disease just like your regular fish and your issues drop way down.

Convicts are better breeders than guppies though if you're looking to use them as much more than occasional treats. Bigger broods and they guard 'em instead of eating the fry themselves. Much more prolific.
i agree with all u said but i should of stated what i said better i ment other fish species (including bichirs) i never knew they ate frogs tho :eek: ideaaaaaaa:naughty::grinno:

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
fishkeeper4244;4971915; said:
Dont do that, i bought a inch long bichir and put it with my guppy colony. it ate all the fry and killed all the females. then i put it in my minnow tank and it ate a minnow that was too big and killed itself.
how many was in your colony?

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
Wow, thanks for all of the replies everybody.

in response: yes they would all be quarantined and well raised. I already have all of the adults. Now i'm just waiting for more babies before i put the bichir in.

also, it would only be going in there for 4-6 weeks at most

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
msjinkzd;4972596; said:
you will be amazed at how fast your colony dwindles.
not forgetting how fat your poly would beefen up

Shaihulud

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2006
Singapore
Guppies would be pretty much gone after a while, however speaking of which. My 3 endis 18+" are able to live with a breeding colony of endler guppies and cherry shrimp in a 4 ft tank, they will eat the larger females, but tends to leave the rest alone. I think potential prey needs to get beyond a certain size before it interests them. Btw never have problems with feeders, but prefer prawns and market fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store