Bichir in planted tanks?

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Looks good! Plants should always be a big part of a tank, not just as decoration, but they're needed to fill a fishes innate need for structure where they can retreat for security and rest. Plants are also beneficial for maintaining water quality as well.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I see a lot of amazing tanks on this website but I don’t notice many planted bichir tanks! Anyone care to share their bichir in their jungle? My favorite plant (and the bichirs as well) is easily the red tiger lotus.

That's a gorgeous red lotus! I've tried to grow one in my bichir tank but I can never get plants to do well in that tank. Well except algae :uhoh:

I wonder if my temperature is too high because polys are more active at warmer temperatures while plants prefer cooler temperatures. (Or at least I think I remember reading so.) What temperature do you keep your tank at? Do you fertilize and how much?

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Here‘s my planted tank, i think the bichirs like all the hiding spots.
Especially the surface plants where they often chill in the roots.

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3646.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

Reactions: scones7

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Here‘s my planted tank, i think the bichirs like all the hiding spots.
Especially the surface plants where they often chill in the roots.
What kind of plant is that at the surface? Do you have to keep surface agitation very low to keep them happy?

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
The surface plant is l. laevigatum and surface agitation is in the middle range.
Since i fertilize 1x per week after the waterchange all plants are doing very good!

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The surface plant is l. laevigatum and surface agitation is in the middle range.
Since i fertilize 1x per week after the waterchange all plants are doing very good!
Oh frogbit! I couldn't quite tell from the picture. It never does well in my tank and I always assumed it was because of surface agitation though I think I never tried fertilizing while I had it. Maybe it's worth another try.

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Yes you should give it a try!
I almost gave up but since I fertilize 1x per week it‘s exploding.
I dont fertilize that much, just a few drops that‘s enough.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'll definitely pick some up next time I see it at the LFS. I keep trying plants in this tank on and off but I think I never fertilized enough when I had them so most would always die slowly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store