Bichir not eating???

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Thanks, I have kept bichirs for years and never ran into one that acted like this one. My Jurasic fish book was the one that said to use malachite green at 1/2 to 2/3 the dosage to help with progressed cloudy eye. The stuff I bought just happened to have formalin in it. I only used it for 2 days. I just got done putting 5 pieces of cut up night crawler in the tank with all the lights out in the tank and house. I won't know if he has eaten any unless he shows a bulge in the morning. I would hate to loose him. I have never met a bichir that won't eat when food is dangled in their face. I use a thin rod so that my hand is not in the tank. I just poke it through the food and stick it in their face. My other two bichirs which have been with this one since day one eat like pigs.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have been putting pieces of cut night crawler in the tank at night for 3 days now. He is still alive and doesn't look like he is getting any worse. He lies so motionless on the bottom you don't even see his gills move. Every so often he moves to the other side of the tank then back. I will keep everyone posted, I just want to see him physically eat before I stop worring about him.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
See if you can catch him after the tank lights go out eating and bichiring about the tank
I had a P.b.lap that was only active after the tank lights went out and only dim room lighting was on its when he'd eat and cruise the tank-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store