Bichir tank mates and plants

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
After this time, I finally had these fish for in total a month they are doing well. I have three bichirs in total and five Congo tetras. Two senigal and one delhezi. As of right now, I think my albino senigal is a short bodied. I was wondering if realistically I could put another bichir in there along with the extra five Congo tetras I plan to get this weekend. Any thoughts?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SpecialKay

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
After this time, I finally had these fish for in total a month they are doing well. I have three bichirs in total and five Congo tetras. Two senigal and one delhezi. As of right now, I think my albino senigal is a short bodied. I was wondering if realistically I could put another bichir in there along with the extra five Congo tetras I plan to get this weekend. Any thoughts?
It depends on how your bioload is looking, and how often you do water changes. If your nitrates stay under 10 ppm with weekly water changes, you can probably add them.

I myself keep 8 bichirs and 15 rainbows in my 80 gal, because I have enough plants in there to maintain 0 nitrates with weekly 70% water changes.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
Thank you for the information by any chance, would you be able to send me a picture of your tank so that I can see it?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
You can easily put five more Congo Tetras in the tank. Not sure about another bichir, though.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
The only reason I’m asking is because I have heard that they usually do well with bichirs and my local fish store has one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store