Bichirs and veggie based foods

Breeze

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Denver, CO
There is a big difference between terrestrial based plant matter, and aquatic based plant matter. IMO, always best to feed aquatic based plant matter to fish, whenever possible. Some wheat etc as binding agents is ok, but the overall use of terrestrial based grains and plants should be limited in a food designed for fish, especially carnivorous fish. Science has proven that at least with most species of fish studied to date, when fed in excessive quantity terrestrial based plant matter can potentially cause health issues, especially if fed in a raw unprocessed state, due to the anti-nutritional matter found in the vast majority of terrestrial based plants

^^^That is what I'm driving at. Thank you, it's funny how most of this stuff really is common sense. If you step back and just think about what's going on in their natural habitat, you can work yourself out of alot of problems.

Reactions: RD.

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone had any input on Polys eating foods that have some or part of their composition being plant or veggie based.

My Ornate and Delhezi both love Hikari Cichlid Gold, and the ingredients read: fish meal, wheat bran, brewers dried yeast, flaked corn, etc.

Good, bad, indifferent, let me know.

Thanks all!
My polys like Hikari Algae Wafers. I break up a few wafers and drop the pieces in for them. They don't soften up very fast, so they have to chew a lot, and they are a little harder to find because they smell like veggies, but they do eat them.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My advice when buying "algae" wafers or pellets, is to make sure that the main components of the food, are algae based, as in aquatic plant matter.

A few examples of alage wafers below. Which one appears to be more along the lines of what a fish in the wild would consume?

this?

INGREDIENTS

Fish meal, wheat flour, wheat germ meal, cassava starch, dried bakery product, dried seaweed meal, alfalfa nutrient concentrate dehydrated, dehydrated alfalfa meal, brewers dried yeast, soybean meal, fish oil, krill meal, spirulina, garlic, DL-methionine, chlorella, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate.

this?

Ingredients:

Wheat Germ Meal, Feeding Oat Meal, Corn Starch, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cellulose, Potato Protein, Dried Yeast, Wheat Gluten, Algae Meal, Soybean Oil, Monobasic Calcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Source Of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, A-Tocopherol-Acetate (Source Of Vitamin E), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate (Source Of Vitamin B12), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source Of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source Of Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate (Source Of Vitamin A), Biotin, Cyanocobalamin (Source Of Vitamin B12), Cholecalciferol (Source Of Vitamin D3), Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Cobalt Nitrate Hexahydrate. Color Includes: Blue #2 Lake, Yellow #5 Lake, Yellow #6 Lake. Ethoxyquin

or this?

1567215296202.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store