Bichirs have white patches, are they safe with Synodontis eupterus

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
Hello everyone, this is the first time I am asking a question on MFK.
Ok 2 weeks ago I just lost my prized Delheiz bichir. I dont know what happened to him, he just started floating upsidedown on the surface, I euthanized him after I realized he was not going to make it. Any ways, heres the main thing, I have 2 synodontis eupterus(lace catfish) about 5-8 inches. I still have a seng bichir thats 6 inches, since 2 days after I got him he developed white patches(like the skin faded in patches) all over him, its been 6 months, he is still healthy eatting and nothing is really worm with him, but the patches do not go away, I tried mega/pima fix but no results. I'm just worried if the synos suck on the bichirs? they are well fed and everything, and I haven't noticed any red marks(like when a pleco would suck on a slime coat). But after I lost my del, I'm kind of worried if they are culprits of this, because I have a weeks, a gold dust, a endl, and a zaire green, that I was going to put in the larger tank but I'm scared to do so. So please if you guys know anything, please, your help will be appreciated.
(I never saw the syno go after or chase the seng or del, just give the usually peck to confirm that there the boss of the tank)

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Some syno, especially if not well feed will actually go for fish slime coat. I had 3 sailfin syno before and they were rasping on my gars and bichirs. But only when I skip meal or forgot to feed them. But if well feed they dont do anything.

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
bringing back an old thread whooop lol ive had the same problem when i put my syno, no idea what species, into my 180. he was chasing my fl gar and my palams and i noticed white spots on the palmas and little blood marks on my gar. definitely the syno. my question is will synos do this to all fish?

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
My Syno eupterus is about 4" and living with a 9-10" Endli and a 8-9" Senegal. It hasn't been causing any problems, but I'm going to start keeping a closer watch on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store