Bichirs in a 75?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I kept an ornate in a 125 for years before. Once they are big they grow slow as all hell. Eventually if you had a 20" monster I'd say the 180 could be needed. But would take a long time.
How much time do you think I would I get if I kept a 3" CB in a 75g tank? Won't be a high quality CB because they're quite pricey where I live,so i'm assuming it would max out smaller?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
How much time do you think I would I get if I kept a 3" CB in a 75g tank? Won't be a high quality CB because they're quite pricey where I live,so i'm assuming it would max out smaller?
I wouldn't assume it would stay smaller, nor eal way to know that. And even if it did it would be too big for a 75. But at 3" you would have a some time in a 75. They grow pretty quickly when small, depending on feeding schedule and water quality of course. I would say you'd probably have a year or so in a 75 at 3". But the growth rate is pretty variable. I'd move it up when it was a foot long.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I wouldn't assume it would stay smaller, nor eal way to know that. And even if it did it would be too big for a 75. But at 3" you would have a some time in a 75. They grow pretty quickly when small, depending on feeding schedule and water quality of course. I would say you'd probably have a year or so in a 75 at 3". But the growth rate is pretty variable. I'd move it up when it was a foot long.
Probably won't be getting any of the bigger bichirs anytime soon,just wanted to know what I could expect if I do ever do get an adequate
sized tank some day :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store