bichirs,loaches, and snails. OH MY

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Thats a tuff one, any that I can think of would eat the snails and or the birchir might eat the loach. If you don't care about the snails then your options really open up.

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
loaches and snails don't go together very well. loaches feed on snails so your snails will disappear unless it reproduces fast enough. clown loaches are probably the best one to keep with senegals since they grow pretty large. but you have to get large ones around 4" or larger so they don't get eaten by the senegal.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
The hard part is finding a loach of a good size that won't get eaten but, clown loaches would work, orange tail loach, Yoyo loach, um can't really think of anymore off of the top of my head right now. Yoyo's and orange tails can get abot 6in.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
The snails are doomed.

crazyduckhunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
california
most loaches that i am interested in only get to bout 4-5 inches. im lookin for somethin a bit bigger as the polypterus could easily eat little ones. ill look into clowns. i can get em for bout 10 bucks a pop out here so gimme a day and ill come up with somethin

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only way to keep snails with loaches is to keep malaysian trumpet snails and lots of wide flat rocks. Keep the flat rocks on the gravel's surface. MTS burrow through the substrate and shun light so, most will stay under the flat rocks where the loaches can't get to them. The loaches will eat any snail they cen get to but, the MTS in my clown loach tank are still doing well because not all the snails can be reached by the loaches. MTS are also livebearing snails that will bear their young under the substrate making the youngs chances for survival better than a species that must lay an egg mass above the substrate where fish can get at them. The combination can work provided you set the system up for it.

KurseD

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
the rock...671!!!
i have my ornate birchir in with a trio of clown loaches, they get along fine...for now, birchir is only 3in. and clowns are 2in., hopefully they will grow at almost the same rate.

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
i have my ornate birchir in with a trio of clown loaches, they get along fine...for now, birchir is only 3in. and clowns are 2in., hopefully they will grow at almost the same rate.
they definetly won't grow at the same rate. clown loaches grow pretty slow while bichirs grow fairly fast. you're clowns will most likely dissappear in a few months if you keep them in the same tank as the ornate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store