Bichirs X synbranchus marmoratus

drdpc

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
Brazil
Hi
I've never kept bichirs and synbranchus marmoratus in the same tank! They are a 10in ornate, a 6in albino, a 4 in albino, and 2 7in synbranchus marmoratus. Do you think I will have problems? The tank is not the problem! It's big and have some hiding places!!

drdpc

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
Brazil
i'm worry abou this!! but i'm thinking thay they will grow at the same rate!!

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Do you think I will have problems? Eventualy yes since it will outgrow both bichirs in your tank

little something I found
Marbled Swamp Eel
Synbranchus marmoratus (Bloch, 1795)

Temperment Sociability Min. Tank Availability Area
Aggressive Solitary 150 gallons Common Bottom

Although technically not a true Eel, S. marmoratus is a huge fish with a long, slender body. It is a true tankbuster, and shouldn't be trusted with any fish too small to defend itself. They are diggers, and so a sandy substrate should be used, and an undergravel filter should not. They can live in poor water conditions if needed in their native habitats, and can even survive on land for quite some time with no water. The tank should be large and have absolutely gaping areas in the canopy where the fish could escape. Decorate the tank with lots of rocks and plants and feed the fish a wide variety of meaty foods. They often live in brackish waters.
Family:
Synbranchidae
Type:
Miscellaneous
Distribution:
Central and South America
Max Size:
60"
pH:
Neutral
Temperature:
75-80° F.
Diet:
Carnivorous
Breeding:
Unreported

drdpc

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
Brazil
I'm still worry, but i was worried with the bichirs, now I'm worry with the "mussum". My 4in bichir was bitting the eels tail!!
I will take care off them these days to decide what i will do!!
With you have more comments, i will be glad!

lgarruda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Brazil
Hi (ou oi - vou por minha mensagem em inglês para o resto do pessoal ok?)

Swamp eels get till at least 90 cm or even more!!. Bichirs can grow till 40 cm more or less. Symbrachus will try to eat the polypterus even if they present the same size. I had one once with 60 cm that tried to eat another swamp eel with 45 cm. Of course it could not swallow it but it damaged so much the tissues of the head that the minor fish died.
Another thing that could be taken is that swamp eels grow much faster than bichirs. Maybe in three months the swamp eel will reach in size the longest bichir.

Luiz Gustavo/Brazil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store