Big bad wolf

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Tag Deadeye Deadeye , jjohnwm jjohnwm , Asking your opinions as wolf owners.

So my wolf has been dealing with what my buddy in the medical field called 'traumatic cataract'. Essentially physical eye damage in simplest terms. I removed a large branchy type Mopani and replace it with a much smoother piece as seen in my water change pic.
B9BB5D16-DAF5-4821-8299-5F3578C2CAB8.jpeg
So at this point the only other thing I can see that might be an issue is his ZooMed plastic log. He will dart in and out of there pretty quickly. So I wonder if he is scratching his eyes on the decor? So as wolf owners, do you guys provide a 'hide' of any sorts to your fish? Im seriously considering moving it out to see if his eyes get better.

At times he acts as if he is blind to large Massivore pellets dropping. The other day he completely missed some and the tank stunk! This is such an awesome fish but the eye thing just makes for some weirdness on his part.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Was he ever with any tankmates that could have damaged it? I’m not sure if the eye issue ever goes away - my blood parrot has had it for a long time as I had mentioned. Never seemed to bother him.
My tank has some piled rocks and a large driftwood piece, he will hide under the rocks on occasion, but generally just stays out by the front of the tank until I feed him (and then goes right back to begging).
1677536043837.jpeg
He misses a lot of pellets unless they pass right by him. I’m not sure it’s a vision thing, just that these guys are stupid.
You can try adding some extra plant cover so he’s less tempted to hide in rocks and risk injuring his eye. Since the above pic was taken I have a lot of hornwort, bacopa, and duckweed at the top.

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
His only tankmate is the male BN pleco who hides in the same log with him. Ive never seen the pleco try and fight with him. If anything it actively tries to avoid him. I think I will wait till an order of new plastic plants comes in and then I might pull the log and rescape the tank and see if the eyes clear up any more.

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My fish has been known to push larger-than-ideal food items into his mouth by literally jamming himself mouthfirst against a solid surface. It always looked as though he would cause damage to himself, but none seems to have occurred. Nevertheless, I try to use food items that are small enough to be easily swallowed without this activity. His weird mood swings continue to occur; I've gotten accustomed to them. He now seems to enjoy hanging suspended in mid-tank in floating plants, rather than hidden in caves. His tank has several lengths of concrete drain pipe and some driftwood, but again, none of this seems to have caused any damage to eyes or otherwise. The fish is extremely visual-oriented, completely unlike the scent-oriented hunting activity of catfish.

I have googled "traumatic cataract" in humans, and it seems as though it is, like "standard" cataracts, a condition affecting the actual lens within the eye. But, in your pictures, the cloudy area appears to be in front of the iris of the eye, perhaps in or under the cornea, whereas the lens is behind the iris. Did your source examine all these pics, showing the various angles? They just don't look like the lens is the part that is affected. I'm not anywhere close to educated in this area, so I am just trying to interpret what I see in those pics.

Reactions: DMD123 and Deadeye

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I have googled "traumatic cataract" in humans, and it seems as though it is, like "standard" cataracts, a condition affecting the actual lens within the eye. But, in your pictures, the cloudy area appears to be in front of the iris of the eye, perhaps in or under the cornea, whereas the lens is behind the iris. Did your source examine all these pics, showing the various angles? They just don't look like the lens is the part that is affected. I'm not anywhere close to educated in this area, so I am just trying to interpret what I see in those pics.
The current pic are much better than what my buddy had seen previously. He had went by some older much more blurry pics. It really looks like its just under the outer surface but just is not clearing up fully.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Have you tried any antibiotics? It is most likely mechanical damage but it may clear it up if there is a bacterial element at play.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store