Big old KKP?

DeadFriends

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2011
Massachusetts.
I got this the other day. The seller said it was a KKP. I have several KKPs and none of them really look like this. I had seen it in the shop that it was at for about a year and it was Snow White(second picture) the entire time. I got it home and put it in my tank and it looks like this now(first picture) Is it just a KKP? None of my other KKPs are this color or shape. Also attached is a picture of it’s vent, that’s a male, right? I’m usually good at venting my fish but that tube is always out. Sorry for all of the questions. Thank you in advance, you guys Are always so helpful and seemingly happy to help.EF5C5119-AC2B-4C77-A6C0-63D01B26BCB7.jpegD8488444-6F9B-4479-AACF-F0E047251FD9.jpegF726CA76-2F55-465F-90BD-D7CB8EB26C5F.png

B544CEC0-5E4F-4309-AB48-22E686CCBCEF.png

Attachments

Reactions: Ruturaj

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
My guys thang is always out and his color has changed a few times. I can't figure it out. The baby next to him(although I think he's only a few months older) just returned to deep orange from almost all black. They're both well fed and happy and playful as can be. Both sold as plain old blood parrots.

20200618_093648.jpg

20200618_093636(0).jpg

20200618_093636.jpg

DeadFriends

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2011
Massachusetts.
My females tubes are always out. The males always have a little spike down there but the tubes that the girls have are big. That’s why this guys stuff was confusing to me. I have one that’s a pinkish orange, similar to my male rose queen. But the others are all just a regular orange. My largest female is the best looking though. She’s a really deep orange, I’ve bred her a couple of times with a large vieja fenestratus. The fry is still too small to really see what it’s going to be like. But It’ll be fun either way. The one I originally posted is the same kind of pink that my female rose queen is and almost has a similar face to my synspilum. I also have this mutant that I’ll attach a picture of below. Still pretty small but I couldn’t pass it up. I’m sure he’s just something that should’ve been culled

89CBBE64-CA07-42A7-B410-7B844334E5E2.jpeg

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
My guys thang is always out and his color has changed a few times. I can't figure it out. The baby next to him(although I think he's only a few months older) just returned to deep orange from almost all black. They're both well fed and happy and playful as can be. Both sold as plain old blood parrots.

View attachment 1422273

View attachment 1422274

View attachment 1422275
Loosing the black color is called fading. Happens in midas (one of the fish that was used to make these guys). Nice fish, I think color difference (light and dark is just genetic).

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
It was strange though because she went almost all black (not just spots) overnight and it faded away in 2 days. I was startled and a little concerned.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
It was strange though because she went almost all black (not just spots) overnight and it faded away in 2 days. I was startled and a little concerned.
Happened to few of my parrots too. I think it was just stress. Younger fish have black color for better camouflage.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Hmmm...I changed the water by about 30% the day before it happened. That's all I can think of that would have stressed her. She actually tries to attack the python tube.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hmmm...I changed the water by about 30% the day before it happened. That's all I can think of that would have stressed her. She actually tries to attack the python tube.
Sometimes parrots just change, just because. Sometimes mine will get white 'chins' or look frosty. Or their fin colors will change. Hormones influence it too along with mood.

Reactions: Dalfrey86

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My females tubes are always out. The males always have a little spike down there but the tubes that the girls have are big. That’s why this guys stuff was confusing to me. I have one that’s a pinkish orange, similar to my male rose queen. But the others are all just a regular orange. My largest female is the best looking though. She’s a really deep orange, I’ve bred her a couple of times with a large vieja fenestratus. The fry is still too small to really see what it’s going to be like. But It’ll be fun either way. The one I originally posted is the same kind of pink that my female rose queen is and almost has a similar face to my synspilum. I also have this mutant that I’ll attach a picture of below. Still pretty small but I couldn’t pass it up. I’m sure he’s just something that should’ve been culled

View attachment 1422303
Keep working with this one, may need to just fill out more. Sometimes severe notches smooth out with size and age.

Reactions: DeadFriends
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store