Big tank new guy question..... FILTRATION!

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I am setting up a Clear for Life 90 gallon aquarium that I will keep an Oscar (currently 4"), and a geophagus altiphrons. I am also thinking about getting a Pike cichlid.

My questions is what is enough filtrations? Here are some things I think about and I could, humbly, be very wrong :)

- canister filters like a FX4 or FX6 work well but are loud?
- an aqua clear 110 HOB would be enough?
- a canister filter and a HOB

I will say that I have a beautiful table that is ready for it but is does not have an enclosed cabinet underneath. That being said a canister may be unappealing sitting nest to the table?

I would love any and all thoughts. I am not easily offended. I have a wife and 4 daughters so my skin is thick :).

God Bless
Stew

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Fx6 is pretty quiet actually

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
My questions is what is enough filtrations
technically no such thing. Oscars are very dirty fish. I would use both at minimum. how sturdy is this table? a 90g is over 700 pounds of just water. add substrate, décor and other equipment and it can get close to 1000.

Reactions: celebrist

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
The table is rated for that much or more.... What are your thoughts on the filtration? What would you use?

Thanks

technically no such thing. Oscars are very dirty fish. I would use both at minimum. how sturdy is this table? a 90g is over 700 pounds of just water. add substrate, décor and other equipment and it can get close to 1000.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
i'd run at the minimum the fx4 and a ac110 as per your options. i'd personally run 2 smaller canisters and a large h.o.b if the tank is undrilled. something similar to these Eheim Professional 4+350 External Canister Filter. the reason is you can clean one one month and the other the next and if there happens to be a bb die off the other canister can help minimize the impact on your tank. I use h.o.bs with sponges and pothos to "polish" the water and add a surface agitation for the gas exchange process.

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
I have a 75 gallon Discus tank and run an fx4 and pennplax cascade 1200. Both are extremely quiet.

Only added the fx4 a few days ago and the tank is clearer than it's ever been. Just wish the fx4 had more room for biomedia. Otherwise, I love the fx4

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
On my 90 gallon tanks I run two AC110s or one AC110 and one AC70 - depends on the quantity and type of fish. Given that you mentioned Oscar - maybe the two 110s if you don't go the canister route.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
It would really depend on how youre situating the tank on the table. On the clear for life tanks, the only place to hang the aquaclear is on the long back side so youre gonna have to space the tank at least 6" from whatever is behind it. You should post some pics of the area and table you plan to use for the tank.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I am currently running a 125 with two FX4s and two A.C.110s. The hobs makes all the noise with the splash effect of the water. But you can quiet this down by raising your water level to as close or touching the lip of the hob.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store