Big tank new guy question..... FILTRATION!

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
Any type of filter needs to be cleaned on a regular basis, there is no way of getting around that. My nitrates are always at or below 20ppm with 50% water changes every 14 days. Just like a sump type filter you have all kinds of media, and a lot of it, that can be held in a canister filter. Currently with a light bio load I only open my FX every 2 months or so to rinse out the sponges and usually replace the fine polishing pad. I can easily go much longer between these cleaning times but the OCD part of my brain throws a fit, lol!!!!!
Later
NCH

Reactions: robcope

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
The problem I have with canisters, is although they make a tank look clear, that does not mean the water quality is good, because if canisters are not regularly cleaned out, gunk builds up and produces nitrate (lots of it). Your tank water becomes fish urine soup.
A 90 gal is a puddle compared to the water oscars naturally live in, and if kept in a high nitrate situation, become scarred with chronic HLLE disease over time.
Given only 2 choices, In a 90 gal I would line the entire back wall with as many HOBs as would fit, and clean the gunk out of 1 everyday, and do a water change at the same time of about 30%.
As the oscar grows you will need to up the water changes.
And if you want those 3 cichlids together, minimally, I would suggest doubling the size of the tank.
Given I've read similar so many time about canisters, when I recently set some up for the first time (Sunsun 704a's), I put Sunsun 603a pre-filters on both canisters.
325g SunSun 704a and HW 603 top sm.jpg

They're quite easy to clean, takes less than 10 min. and I'm hoping these should keep the main canisters (filled entirely with various bio media) from turning into such nitrate factories -- I'll check in 3 months to see how dirty/clean they are but I'd bet they're not gunked up.

I would love to use HOB filters but all of my tanks have good-sized, Euro-style bracing completely around the top, so I just can't use these unfortunately.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I’d recommend running two SunSun 304B’s and an AC110 on the tank. Put one SunSun on each side of the stand and then have the AC110 in the center back. Try to clean out one SunSun filter every two weeks and alternate their cleanings. Clean the AC110 as necessary.

Truly, a sump is a better option if you can make it work. Maintenance is much easier on it.

Also, I have a SunSun 303B on a 29 gallon tank and it works very well and is completely silent. Once filled with media, the SunSun’s don’t output anywhere near the flow they are rated for, but are still great filters.

Reactions: CrazyKoiCracker

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
I use either filter max III or Eheim 6664 prefilters on all my canisters and HOB's and can easily go three months without opening a canister. Even at three months, I pretty much just have to replace fine media pads. However, I have only done that once. I clean mine every two months, to OCD to go any longer. On the 75 gallon Discus tank I run a cascade 1200 and an FX4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store