Bigger Tank!

Lexitron

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
I'm a fan of diy filters,so you can modify them to your specific needs and wants.
Aeration is beneficial to all fish, as it allows your fish to more easily get oxygen and helps nourish beneficial bacteria in the tank
That's what I was thinking too when it came to aeration, but I definitely wanted other opinions. Are there aeration systems you recommend, or is that something you would also go the dyi route with?

Lexitron

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
Welcome aboard.
As others have said Craigslist, Offerup,Letgo all great places to look. I got both of my 125s from them. A TruVu acrylic for 209, and a never used glass for 400. So keep looking great deals will show up.

As far as airation goes I use Ehiem 400's. Very nice air pump, and only eats 4watts of power. Has two separate lines each one can be controlled separately on how hard it pumps. The emitters can also give small or big bubbles up to you.View attachment 1321257

I will definitely consider that system; I like that it has multiple lines with individual control. Those tanks are nice. 209 is a crazy awesome deal compared to some set ups I was seeing online. I'll definitely start searching for that deal. Thank you so much for your advice:)

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
For filtration I use Aqua Clear hang on the back filters and FX series canisters

Aqua clears are in my option the best hob filter hands down. Can set them up to run what you want, no monthly cartridges. And all of the parts are easy to get so should never have to get a new one, just replace the parts that wear out over time.

FX are much the same. They got this microchip that runs the motor so all you do is fill the can hook up the hoses and plug it in, it does the rest. Ever 12 hours it backflusshes itself to get out air bubbles truly awsome canister, and totally silent. And it does all this only eating 30watts half a light bulbs power usage

Lexitron

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
For filtration I use Aqua Clear hang on the back filters and FX series canisters

Aqua clears are in my option the best hob filter hands down. Can set them up to run what you want, no monthly cartridges. And all of the parts are easy to get so should never have to get a new one, just replace the parts that wear out over time.

FX are much the same. They got this microchip that runs the motor so all you do is fill the can hook up the hoses and plug it in, it does the rest. Ever 12 hours it backflusshes itself to get out air bubbles truly awsome canister, and totally silent. And it does all this only eating 30watts half a light bulbs power usage
This is all great information; thank you so much! I'm going to put together a master list of different products. I want to be fully prepared when I graduate to a larger tank. I want to eliminate as much room for error and stress for my fish. I want my bichir and rope fish to have an awesome new home.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It seems for heaters Ehiem Jagers are the most reliable.
Been back in the hobby a year now myself and had 2 heaters die on me already. So I am switching all of mine to Ehiem. Also look at Inkbird digital temp controllers. They are an extra layer of protection from runaway heaters that kill off whole tanks. Getting them myself as well.

If you don't have one already get a python water change kit. Hooks up to your facet, and uses it to siphon than refill your tanks. No more buckets. May have to goto a home improvement store for a new adapter, they come with one for the old style of high flow faucets. Well the Aqueon version of the Python does.

Liquid test kit is a must. A few bottles of what ever declorinator you use.

Look into LED lights as well. Can save a lot on your power bill here as well.
My light, air pump, FX uses less power than a standard 60watt bulb. All in not counting the heater I only use 150 watts running a 6ft tank. 400 with the heater going.

Reactions: TheWolfman

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I also went with the FX cans due to this. If you buy a new FX you can get this free, just pay for the filters it uses.....OMG genius this thing is

You can also use the FX to do your draining. Unplug it. Turn off the out valve on top of the can. Hook up hose to the valve on the bottom and open that valve. Plug it back in and it will do your draining as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasMFK31

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What I am going to do is get a correct size hose and start using the FX to do the draining. The Pythons use running water to create the siphon to drain your tank. Using the FX I can save money on the water bill by not having to do this. It takes about an hour to drain my tank 3/4 with the python. Good thing I am in the NW, lots of cheap water here.

Edit: You can turn off the faucet after the siphon is going. It's just a lot slower

Lexitron

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
What I am going to do is get a correct size hose and start using the FX to do the draining. The Pythons use running water to create the siphon to drain your tank. Using the FX I can save money on the water bill by not having to do this. It takes about an hour to drain my tank 3/4 with the python. Good thing I am in the NW, lots of cheap water here.

Edit: You can turn off the faucet after the siphon is going. It's just a lot slower
I have the python now and wow would that be a real life saver. I thought the python I had was good, but this thing looks fantastic! Thank you for all of the info! :)

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store