Biggest Piranha I have seen

Bassjedi

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2006
Houston
Nice pic, both black wolves and black piranhas are slow growers, so big fish are decades old
It was released. Could have easily topped 100 of these per day if targeting them with bait, but I was focused on Peacock Bass and Wolf Fish using lures. The world record Black Piranha came from this spot and I would have had a good shot at breaking the record if I had just fished for those all day. I never actually focused on trying to catch them, but most places in the Amazon you are going to end up with some Piranha no matter what even if fishing with lures.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Bassjedi

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2006
Houston
Nice black p. How many inches/ pounds was it?
Not sure; I didn't measure or weigh it. Now that I think about it, it was pretty silly not to weigh it since it was sitting right there in the Boga grip. Oh well. I would guess around 5.5-6lbs or so. It was fatter than it looks in the photo. Caught several in this size range.

Reactions: Matteus

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
It was released. Could have easily topped 100 of these per day if targeting them with bait, but I was focused on Peacock Bass and Wolf Fish using lures. The world record Black Piranha came from this spot and I would have had a good shot at breaking the record if I had just fished for those all day. I never actually focused on trying to catch them, but most places in the Amazon you are going to end up with some Piranha no matter what even if fishing with lures.
What is the world record for black piranha? Largest I have seen in person was supposedly 18in but have seen some very close to 18in.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
There's (or was) a person who kept a 3 footer in aquaria, no idea about weight tho
In the 19 years of keeping piranha I have never heard of a 3ft piranha, and knowing some of the guys that have been into piranha for close to 40 yrs they have never heard of a 3ft piranha. There has been struggle points in even getting a verified 18in black rhom. Many claims over the years but in almost all cases when a tape measure was applied the rhom was 17-17.5in.

Would love to see this evidence of a 3ft piranha. Largest piranha I have seen was either a 21 or 22in piraya.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store