Biotope database

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey everyone. Maybe it's a good idea to start a general database of biotopes for the forum, ideally ones that we have visited or have lots of knowledge on!

Perhaps a format like this can be used:

Name and geographical location:

Description of habitat:

Plants found:

Fauna found:

Water conditions:

Comments:

I hope this can work!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'll start!

Name and geographical location:
Zandvlei, Cape town, South Africa

Description of habitat:

A fairly shallow system of estuaries and large open pans of water which are fed by 3 rivers from Table mountain. Where I observed it was 1-40cm deep around the edges of the vlei. Bottom is comprised of a very fine, silty sediment with lots of detritus. The vlei is also carpeted with grassy plants and algae which provide lots of shelter for the fish. There isn't too much other observable structure in the water.

An over exposed photo:
IMG_20180324_110615.jpg

Plants found:
Don't have any names at this point, but it's very thin and grassy type plants thay reach to the surface.

Fauna found:

Personally I found many mosquito fish (Gambusia affanis) in the vlei:
IMG_20180325_070832.jpg

There are also Cape Kurper (Sandelia capensis) there:H00000079.JPG

There are also Cape Galaxias (Galaxias zebratus) but these are protected:
images (70).jpg
http://www.riveredgeaccom.co.za/things-to-do/fishing

Apart from these, the other fish are very large or live in full brackish/salt.

Water conditions:

Unfortunately I do not have a full array of water tests as I didn't have the equipment at the time. The salinity can vary from lure fresh to full salt, so depending on the fish choice the salt content can vary. The fish I have listed all do perfectly in full fresh, and the mosquito fish inhabited just about every area regardless.

Temperature will be low, probably between 60-70°f/17-21°c

Comments:

This is a local biotope that I have visited and seen first hand. You could do a 3ft tank for a group of galaxias, or a 4ft+ for some kurper! They act a bit like cichlids actually.

Hope everyone enjoyed and we can get more on here :)

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Ayamaru Lakes
A group of lakes located west Papua, Indonesia.
A shallow lake only averaging a couple of metres deep. Fed by the river Framu.
Plants Mainly Vallisneria species, Ceratophyllum species and Najas species
Fish
Melanotaenia boesemani, Pseudomugil reticulatus.
The lake has a high pH of 8.0 with the water sometimes being stained orange due to the mineral content being washed in of the nearby rocks. Temperature is around 22/71 +.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Arizona riverine biotope: a bunch of rivers and streams flow thru arizona, this is a generalization of the many more natural ones: variable current, usually limited aquatic plants, substrate naturally a mix of rocks and sand, most often rocks are granite or red sandstone, temperature varies widely.

Fish species:flannelmouth sucker,bonytail chub,yaqui catfish,razorback sucker,Colorado pikeminnow,gila topminnow,woundfin,Gila trout,apache trout,
Longfin dace, loach-minnow, roundtail chub,striped mullet, as well as many introduced species, many natives are endangered in az.

Crayfish are not native to arizona

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store