Biotope-flow relationship?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im looking for some information/advice/opinions on how to accurately set up flow/filtration in various biotopes. I imagine this would be an integral part of getting a true biotope right.

For instance, how much and what kind of water movement would be ideal for an amazon/SA tank? Should i try to replicate a strong laminar flow through the tank like in a sandy bottom river run, or perhaps a random, swirling flow in the tank like something that may occur in an eddy or cut in the riverbank? Or maybe even an upwelling effect using multiple sponge filters to simulate deep holes in the riverbed?

Thanks for any and all advice.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Im looking for some information/advice/opinions on how to accurately set up flow/filtration in various biotopes. I imagine this would be an integral part of getting a true biotope right.

For instance, how much and what kind of water movement would be ideal for an amazon/SA tank? Should i try to replicate a strong laminar flow through the tank like in a sandy bottom river run, or perhaps a random, swirling flow in the tank like something that may occur in an eddy or cut in the riverbank? Or maybe even an upwelling effect using multiple sponge filters to simulate deep holes in the riverbed?

Thanks for any and all advice.
You will need to specify what specie of fish you will be stocking. Some Amazon specie prefer low current for example Apistogramma.:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was hoping for info on a variety of SA fish, but i suppose if you have to focus on one lets just say a group of severums.

Severums will be fine with surface agitation from sump or canister filter or power head could be added for personal preference.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I would say low flow for severums with tall branches breaking up the flow as well, this would be ideal for severums

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
River flow rate can vary massively throughout the year, slow flowing rivers can still have narrow or shallow areas which will give stretchs of very high flow. Some fish species will keep to wide deep areas with little flow, some will seek out high flowing areas. It can make it more complicated, fish species can be found in the same river, but need different tank set ups as they occupy completely different areas.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I find that different areas of the tank should have different flow rates, you don't find natural rivers with same flowrates thruout

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I find that different areas of the tank should have different flow rates, you don't find natural rivers with same flowrates thruout
River flow rate can vary massively throughout the year, slow flowing rivers can still have narrow or shallow areas which will give stretchs of very high flow. Some fish species will keep to wide deep areas with little flow, some will seek out high flowing areas. It can make it more complicated, fish species can be found in the same river, but need different tank set ups as they occupy completely different areas.
Right but when im fishing here in my native virginia, its common wisdom that the most of the fish inhabit the deeper holes of the riverbed. It seems to me those spots are usually sheltered from turbulent flow, and are somewhat cooler than the topwater as well.

It would be great to have a huge tank to set up with all the natural features of a river. Almost seems like any type of true biotope would have to be thousands of gallons in size.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Right but when im fishing here in my native virginia, its common wisdom that the most of the fish inhabit the deeper holes of the riverbed. It seems to me those spots are usually sheltered from turbulent flow, and are somewhat cooler than the topwater as well.

It would be great to have a huge tank to set up with all the natural features of a river. Almost seems like any type of true biotope would have to be thousands of gallons in size.
Not really.
Biotope's are such a vast and varied thing.
Some biotopes will be no more than a still puddle. I believe there is a biotope that can be achieved within everyone's means or budget.
A little research can lead to something realistic and achievable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store