biotype crawdad and bluegill... pond setup.

cichlidtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2011
bridgeportopia
Im thinking of building a boitype pond... crayfish bluegill, sunfish... start out in 6 foot hard plastic kiddie pool. The crayfish I know will feast on the other fish but the lake is around 5 minutes on bicycle from house. Would be naturally in that aspect and add in plants from lake and sand from quarry across street that is same type in the lake. If it goes well maybe eat the crayfish too "control" population... I really just want to farm them and have the pond interesting. Any ideas, problems? Suggestions?

jwalkerafc7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2011
North Carolina
how deep is the pool?

cichlidtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2011
bridgeportopia
16 inches I've got some concerns on the depth.
There is another pool 8 foot diameter and is deeper but out of stock.
May bury in the sand partially or fully.

meandovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2010
lake worth florida
The best biotype for those fish is the lake/stream that they are accustomed to. Please dont take a fish from the wild, not only is it illegal in most of the u.s .But it is wrong. Go to the pet store and save a fish from its cramped habitat. Please learn from my mistakes iv done things like that. Dont be impulsive. Sorry that im being a jackass but you just remined myself of me.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
T Please dont take a fish from the wild, not only is it illegal in most of the u.s .But it is wrong. Go to the pet store and save a fish from its cramped habitat.
so it's ok to take fish from the wild in other countries, just not ours? while it is changing, the ratio for captive bred and wild caught in the pet trade still leans heavily towards wild caught. local fish can be kept if you learn what they need to thrive, which is what he's doing.
certainly not illegal here to keep local sunfish.

I don't know where bridgeportopia is, but as long as the temps don't get to low in the winter so it doesn't freeze, 16" should be ok for bluegill and sunfish. the size you give is about 300 gallons.
any plants should probably be in pots, a lot of sunfish, including (maybe even especially) bluegill, will mess with plants. the crayfish will definitely mess with the plants. the sunfish will mess with the crayfish when they shed, so they need hiding spaces.
actually, it sounds pretty cool, a couple big rocks sticking up out of the water to break up their lines of sight sounds cool to me. use the rock tops for some terrestrial plants, some lily pads and cattails in pots... too bad it gets too cold here for me to do it without a winter heater.

what are you thinking of using for filtration?

predatorfish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
united states america
huh? taking a non gamefish is illegal? you can keep the fish as long as its big enough. what Im talking about is that if u catch a trout atleast 6 in. and the law sez u can only keep one at 8 in. u have to throw it back but if u catch a trout big enough to keep u can do what u want to him. and bluegill are not even gamefish. I go fishing for bluegill and if any hit evem if its tiny I keep it. u cant go fishing without catching a dozen. but thats where I live u may live somewhere where they made that stupid law and you have a size limit. otherwise i wouldent get why u couldnt keep one.

meandovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2010
lake worth florida
huh? taking a non gamefish is illegal? you can keep the fish as long as its big enough. what Im talking about is that if u catch a trout atleast 6 in. and the law sez u can only keep one at 8 in. u have to throw it back but if u catch a trout big enough to keep u can do what u want to him. and bluegill are not even gamefish. I go fishing for bluegill and if any hit evem if its tiny I keep it. u cant go fishing without catching a dozen. but thats where I live u may live somewhere where they made that stupid law and you have a size limit. otherwise i wouldent get why u couldnt keep one.
ya taking a fish from the illegal is unless you have a fishing licence (should have metioned it before) unless it is invasive. but my main point is why take a fish from a bigger habittat that it has know all of its life and put him in a small pond. when you can go to the lfs and save a fish that is in a cramped 10g tank

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
ya taking a fish from the illegal is unless you have a fishing licence (should have metioned it before) unless it is invasive. but my main point is why take a fish from a bigger habittat that it has know all of its life and put him in a small pond. when you can go to the lfs and save a fish that is in a cramped 10g tank
this is a state controlled thing. here it is legal to do whatever you want if the fish come from private property, no license needed. and what is the big deal about getting a license? 15$ for the whole season is the price of 2 or 3 fish. and the license fees go to help support your last surviving native areas so you save multiple fish along with other wildlife.

but again, your main point is flawed, since buying more wild caught fish from your local LFS means even more fish caught from the wild since the last ones brought a profit.

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
some issues that I see:
Crayfish will go for a walk, don't expect them to stay in the pool.

Secondly jumpers, if you have any type of aggression in the pool, a fish may try to jump out of the way/pool, expect fish jerky.

Start smaller with some mosquito fish, or minnow feeders before larger sunfish. Making sure with something that won't jump, and can become a food source to stock the tank will make it easier in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store