Bird cage site

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Exactly as Deadeye Deadeye discribed, it's not really the poo that's the messy part. It's the seeds/shells/other food and feathers that makes the big mess. They have a surprisingly large amount of plain white under-feathers. Birds drop more food than they actually eat. This can be a problematic in areas with a bug issues such as ants etc.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Exactly as Deadeye Deadeye discribed, it's not really the poo that's the messy part. It's the seeds/shells/other food and feathers that makes the big mess. They have a surprisingly large amount of plain white under-feathers. Birds drop more food than they actually eat. This can be a problematic in areas with a bug issues such as ants etc.
One of my tanks is next to my bird cage. One of the seeds must have gotten trapped between the lid where lots of evaporation keeps it wet, and started growing. Not sure what happened to to it eventually.
It’s amazing where I’ll find feathers…
Especially messy after letting her fly around.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
They pee and poo at the same time from the same orifice. So sometimes it may be more wet. The poo you have to watch out for in the first one in the morning. They won't go at all overnight, it would attract predators in the wild, so before you let them out in the morning make sure that big one is dropped in cage. Average poo for Phoenix is comparable to a drip of paint in size. He's a 125gram bird. Smaller birds such as cockatiels (75 to 100g) and parakeets (26to 36g) will obviously make smaller ?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Two things I suggest keeping on hand when owning a bird.
1) a digital scale that reads in grams.

Birds are very good at hiding being ill. If seen as being ill the flock would remove said bird so whatever it has don't spread to the flock. So they look/act normal almost to the point when they fall over dead before showing any symptoms. So daily or at least weekly weight checks will tell you of issues before the bird ever will. I weigh Phoenix daily just after he drops the big overnight poo.

2) A blood clotting agent of some sort.

Birds have a some blood feathers. With how small they are and how fast the heart rate is normally they can quickly bleed out. If they should break one of these blood feathers or somehow get cut you might have to be ready to help. Can be as simple as some cornstarch or like me buy a first aid kit designed for birds.

And lastly a site much like MFK but for Birds

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Ok awesome guys. Thank you so much for the info. I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Reactions: Jexnell

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Two things I suggest keeping on hand when owning a bird.
1) a digital scale that reads in grams.

Birds are very good at hiding being ill. If seen as being ill the flock would remove said bird so whatever it has don't spread to the flock. So they look/act normal almost to the point when they fall over dead before showing any symptoms. So daily or at least weekly weight checks will tell you of issues before the bird ever will. I weigh Phoenix daily just after he drops the big overnight poo.

2) A blood clotting agent of some sort.

Birds have a some blood feathers. With how small they are and how fast the heart rate is normally they can quickly bleed out. If they should break one of these blood feathers or somehow get cut you might have to be ready to help. Can be as simple as some cornstarch or like me buy a first aid kit designed for birds.

And lastly a site much like MFK but for Birds

Very important with the disease. I mentioned I had 2 birds, by the time I realized it was sick, it was too late. It was a miracle my current one pulled through and now just seems to be affected by old age.
I’ve heard the blood feather isn’t actually a problem, just an occurrence from molting. As long as it isn’t uncontrolled bleeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store