Bit the Datnoid Bullet

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
IMG_6792.JPG IMG_6952.JPG After 12 years of wanting one I finally just bought my first dat. Any tips or advice? Right now he's in my planted 125 I've used for the last few years as a rainbowfish breeding setup with what's left of the rainbowfish colonies and a few smaller spiny eels and my Balas that have been growing like weeds. He seems really timid at times but then I've caught him cruising the tank when ive got the big lights off and he seems fairly comfortable in with the plants. Sold as a ST but I'm thinking he's more than likely IT. So far he's eaten live ghost shrimp, chopped prawns, beef heart and bloodworms. I try to stay away from flake/pelleted food since my other fish show their best colors on real meat. I have a bunch of Malaysian driftwood and manzanita that I'll be adding to the tank soon as well so he won't have any shortage of hiding places.

IMG_6772.JPG

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
not sure why the pictures posted so weird. its been a while since i was on here and i seem to have lost my touch with posting.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's a beautiful tank. Good luck with your dat :)

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks. Don't see many densely planted tanks with monsters in them. Hoping I can change that. As my more peaceful residents die off ive been slowly replacing them with baby monsters to grow out. Right now its an interesting mix. My giant school of danios has slowly been shrinking but everyone else seems to be getting along while the larger species are all babies.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's cool, it's usually just easier to maintain without plants.

I'm selling off most of the stock in my big tank soon and planting it up some more as well as getting polypterus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very nice looking tank and yes your dat is an IT.Dats are lurkers,ambush predators and they like to hide so in your case I probably wouldn't add any driftwood or you may never see the dat due to him hiding behind it.That looks like quite enough plant cover for the compromise of the dat feeling secure and you being able to observe and enjoy it as it settles in.It is also good that you feed your dat a selection of foods and staying away from feeders but keep in mind that a good quality sinking pellet will show a big difference in growth rate.That is also dependent on you getting the dat to eat them.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
What pellets would you recommend I try? He's only about 4.5" now but in pretty sure he picked off a few of my 1.5" danios. Also how long does it typically take for them to completely settle in? I know he's eating but have yet to see him in action. Just wake up and he's chilling in one of the corners or plants looking a little fatter than the day before.

johnaro

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
Depend try to take out all the small fish now if he get use to live feed will be every hard to break him and get him to take pellet. For him to setttle can take a fews days to a fews week depend on the fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store