Black aquarium gravel - where to buy

Mbry10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2018
Interested in switching over to black aquarium gravel when I change over to my new tank (120g). I'm not so sure about spending $100+ to fill it up adequately. Any suggestions or is that going to be what it takes?

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Could always use black diamond blasting sand. But if you’re going to use gravel then I think you will need to buy aquarium gravel.
I have used Mexican Beach Pebbles from Lowe’s in one of my tanks. They stayed black, but are much larger than gravel.

Tarsun

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2018
petsmart has (or had) black sand...

black diamond is neat and never thought about putting it in an aquarium. i use it for sand blasting. i believe it is coal slag. I never put it in water before but i would recommend washing it before using it in a tank.

it does have a beautiful shine though. and is cheap iirc.

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
in my experience with black blasting sand I battled large silica issues. had diatom algae blooms out the ying yang for months!!! till I fanally removed it and replaced it with black gravel from my local fish store. cost a bit more but I didn't spend 3 nites a week cleaning plant leaves and glass and equipment in the tank LOL

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
yes by all means just use aquarium gravel a little will do the trick just add more if you feel you need to

Mbry10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2018
Replies are much appreciated! I did go ahead and order some black aquarium gravel from Chewy.com (PetSmart). A little expensive but I'd rather do it now with the new set up.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Don't go spend crazy amounts at petstore.

Go to tractor supply and guy a 50 pound bag of black sand blasting sand. But the bag woth red lettering but the other. The ted is fine grade the other pr more of a smaller gravel type. Looks awesome just wash and wash to get the dust off. Does not hurt fish at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store