Black Arowana fins...to cut or not to cut

yoyopeter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2010
CA
Hi all, I’m debating on whether or not I should cut the edges of my black arowana’s fins. I got him in November 2017 at about 5” when he was very very timid.

After about a month, I saw that his fins were starting to fray (thinking due to stress) so I made sure to do two water changes a week.

His fins didn’t stop fraying to a point and has been at a stand still for the past few months. At about 13” now, I am not seeing any progress in fins even with weekly 40% water changes.

I have not seen any recovery even with clean water conditions, added salt, and higher temps.

He eats completely fine on market prawn, hikari food sticks, and bloodworms.

He is currently in a 120g with geophagus, clown loaches, a 6” Jardini, and a green phantom pleco. Set up is with a 55g sump with loads of media.

At this point I am very tempted to snip the frayed edges of his fins in hopes that they will regrow evenly. Any thoughts on measures I should take before I cut his fins?

First pic is at 1 month.

Last 2 pics were taken this week.

5E91841F-DEA5-4FD9-BFAF-90BE77F4F953.png 14E66CE5-C8A1-4728-9257-48D1C87BA00B.jpeg B0F78476-5E6A-4344-9D54-BCC71826CBA0.jpeg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yup... that doesn't happen naturally, he's getting nipped up. Observe the fish, identify the problem, and move/sell fish around to solve it.
You probably know this, but the 120 is too small for either arowana even alone. I would not be surprised at all if the jardini was chewing on his fins, they are notorious.

Don't attempt some ad-hock scissor sugery, when the problem is with the husbandry! I bet if kept alone or with peaceful fish they grow right back

Reactions: tlindsey

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Why would you cut your fish for cosmetic reasons. It’s not like hey the fish is getting a haircut. I’m almost certain it’ll grow back naturally on its own without any human assistance maybe other than a few w/c

yoyopeter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2010
CA
Thanks for the advice guys.

The Jardini was introduced last month when the Black aro’s fins had already been fraying for some time.

I’ve kept a very close eye on the progress of its fins and it’s neither gotten better or worse. That’s why I’m considering cutting them.

Certainty the 120 is not a permanent home as my stock will be a lot bigger in a few months so an upgrade is definitely coming soon. As for the Jardini...got him on impulse and he’ll have to pack his bags once they start fighting.

Reactions: tlindsey

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
I agree your problem is likely fin nipping. I wonder, is that a prochilodus from that first pic? He might be the cause of your problems.

If the fins do grow back naturally, it likely won't look the way it used too, since the fin rays look like they're bent. You can solve it by snipping them as you've suggested, but I would just let it go considering how minor it is.

I cut one of my angelfish's dorsal fin clean in half when I first got him since it was pretty badly bent. Dosed a little epsom salt and it grew back looking normal like a charm within a few weeks. However, you can tell it's a really stressful operation for the fish.

Edit: Oops, old post

Reactions: yoyopeter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store