Black ear shark catfish, ~1', in 4500 gal, lone survivor, 1 for 5

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Its story begins in this thread that's largely about its nemesis vulture catfish ----- https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ere-6-vultures-and-5-black-ears.675034/page-2 ---- so I thought I'd give the black ear its own thread.

Here is a video update on the lone surviving black ear that's about a foot now and pretty thick. It's skittishness / nervousness visually has disappeared by now, probably due to its growth and the tank size but I'm sure if I were to try catching it, it would spaz out in a terrible fashion.

It looks like the tank mates don't bother it anymore because it's has been a while since I saw any damage on it which helps it calm down a lot. It feeds on a variety of pellets with enviable vigor. I've not noted yet if it takes fish but I've not paid enough attention.

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Very nice looking fish, however forgot to ask this in my comment. How big do these guys get? As far as I'm aware they are a smaller Pangasius species, no?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
What a beauty there

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Appreciate the feedback.

Both FishBase and Fishing World Records place black ear's max size at the same number as IDS, namely 130 cm = 4'4".

As for the captivity, even for IDS I've only heard anecdotes and rumors of 3'-4' IDS raised in captivity, never seen one alive or pictured. My biggest one reached only 28" after ~7-8 years.

Black ears are kept very rarely, a million times less so than IDS, so we appear to know exceedingly little about them.

I know IDS is farmed very widely. Having read that most or all large-growing Pangasiidae are farmed in SE Asia (and many are hybridized, hence, I suppose, Mekong Giant Catfish identification problems as hinted by fugupuff fugupuff ), I assume black ears are too and what we get may be refuse black ears from the farming operations. This is a supposition. For IDS, that's a given. Hence the relatively meager growth and sizes of our home-grown IDS.

The same applies to paroons that grow 2x bigger than IDS and black ears in the wild, BTW. Very rarely do we see a paroon over 4' raised in private hands, in fact, TLkm is the only one that comes to mind and his is not 4' yet, IIRC.

... I am not talking Public Aquaria when I speak of captivity because their fish sources differ drastically from ours and it is not a fair comparison. Hobbyists and professional Aquarists cannot be lumped together conveniently. Many of Aquaria too can afford to get a full grown adult from farms or the wild and into their exhibit, hence, circumventing "raising in captivity" in the way we think of it.

Last edited:

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
You sir, have a large tank full of awesome fish. I have a black ear myself, only about 7 inches, so it's nice to know it will settle down a bit and still look really great when it grows. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Just a quick question-

When he was younger, did he like swimming up and down the wall? Mine does and I don't want him to bruise his nose or mess it up.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Just a quick question-

When he was younger, did he like swimming up and down the wall? Mine does and I don't want him to bruise his nose or mess it up.
More so left and right on the window. For many months with some intermissions. Then stopped, probably about a year ago. I was worried it'd rub off the skin but the pacing turned out rather inconsequential.

Overall, this behavior is consistent with them being even more nervous on average than an IDS catfish.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Good save. I noticed in your silver dollar video that the dorado was released from the jerk tank. Is he doing good on parole.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store