black ghost knife house?

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
He loves the vac tube, and he's super outgoing, always swimming around the tank. The Oscar and Chocolate doesn't pay any attention, in fact the BGK kind of bugs them from time to time, trying to suck onto them.

He's also hand fed already, maybe its just his personality or he was already hand fed at the LFS (I got him around 5 inch, so he wasn't a baby). He almost only eats out of my hand now, I just hold a freezed dried tubifex worm cube on the surface and he eats out of my hand. When I tried dropping the cube, the chocolate gobbles it up before the BGK has a chance. It's pretty nice but I can see it becoming tiresome doing it everyday lol.

Do I Have to worry at all about the BGK sometimes following and sucking on the oscar, I heard plecos can do serious damage.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
He loves the vac tube, and he's super outgoing, always swimming around the tank. The Oscar and Chocolate doesn't pay any attention, in fact the BGK kind of bugs them from time to time, trying to suck onto them.

He's also hand fed already, maybe its just his personality or he was already hand fed at the LFS (I got him around 5 inch, so he wasn't a baby). He almost only eats out of my hand now, I just hold a freezed dried tubifex worm cube on the surface and he eats out of my hand. When I tried dropping the cube, the chocolate gobbles it up before the BGK has a chance. It's pretty nice but I can see it becoming tiresome doing it everyday lol.

Do I Have to worry at all about the BGK sometimes following and sucking on the oscar, I heard plecos can do serious damage.
That is awesome man, well done :)

I doubt a BGK can suck off a slime coat like a pleco can so i think you are safe

I can feed my knives earthworm by hand, they already just gulp bloodworm if it goes in

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Sigh my awesome outgoing BGK died tonight.

I came home from school and hand fed him some worms, he was active and looked healthy. After everyone I ate, I did my last round of kordon ich plus (4th day), and went out to subway for dinner for literally 45 minutes. Came home to a dead BGK. Waters are fine, although Nitrates were a little above 40ppm. There was a lot of oscar poop.

Anyway, I would caution using Kordons rid ich plus when you have a BGK. My awesome outgoing BGK passed. RIP

AdiHewitt

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2019
Hi,
Thank you for having me in your group. I love reading here as there is always something to read & learn that I didn't know. I have two Black Ghose Knife Fish who at this point are babies (my old friend passed away at the age of 13 years, he was a little over 13" long and loved to just come over and lay in my hand at feeding time. I would put some food in my palm and he would rest his chest and midsection across my thumb and eat from my hand. Mack (short for 'Mack the Knife') gave me such a love for the Black Ghost Knife that I had to get another & since I found a seller on Aquabid selling 2 I took the pair. I did have to separate them IMMEDIATELY as they were trying to kill each other as soon as I opened the box so I put one in our 100-gallon tank and one in our 220-gallon tank where I was planning on putting both of them.
My Mack had a cave in the 220 which was so large it just wasn't going to do for these little mites and I couldn't find anything other than clear PVC pipe which was unbelievably expensive (most of them close to or even over $50.00 for one which was 3" to 4" wide and 8" to 12" long or the tube made by 'Lee's' which is WAY too small for a Black Ghost Knife Fish, I do not understand why so many people are giving this little tube so many positive comments for a tube which comes in 2" diameter and 6.5" & 10" length. A Ghost would outgrow such a small tube so quickly it would be a total waste of money!
I found your forum during my search for a clear tube & the first person who made a suggestion in this forum suggested a replacement cover for a 'Hurricane Lamp'. The only problem with that was I didn't like the shape as it was much narrower on the ends than it was in the middle. I then remembered I had heard of something called 'Hurricane Candles' & BINGO! Perfect solution. They are 4" wide & 9.5" tall (long) and $19.00 for 2 of them. They are made of glass which is safe for the aquarium and the little guys love them. I can keep an eye on them this way and they think they are hidden in a cave. I planted some red tiger lotus on either side and they are growing over the top and keeping the light level dimmer as they do not like a lot of light. I can't leave links yet as this is my first post, however, I put the title of the Amazon listing below so you can look them up if you are interested. There are many sizes available, up to 8" wide and over a foot or more longer and every size in between to match the size of your ghost.

CYS EXCEL Various Size Hurricane Candle Holders, Chimney Tube.

Thanks for the opportunity to share,
Adi

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store