black ghost knife

EmilyMarie85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Boise, ID
Your not supposed to put multiple BGKs in one tank - reason is, they are an electric fish (weak ones) but they use some kind of sonar system to help them see. If you put more than 1 in a tank, it confuses them because their sonars get crossed - causing them to fight all the time.

Scarycakes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
Virginia beach
TwistedPenguin;3272950; said:
"Baby" arowanas get a big as adult Arowanas lol
thanks dude didnt realize they grow...i already have one in a seperate tank but i am thinking of getting another

well then i will stick with one bgk what do they like to hide in though? the dude at the petshop said they like the tubes so i bought a tube for him, but he doesnt like to hide anywhere except above the power head. lol he eats, he loves eating but he just lkes to chill up there...not in rocks not in tube...is there anything else he might like?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Black ghost knives in my eyes...are more a community type fish... they are predators to small fish that fit in their mouth but for the most part they are non aggressive sweet fish... so if you want all these monster types i would suggest you find another tank for BGK ..or he will be in danger as the other fish grow.

Scarycakes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
Virginia beach
i was thinking about constructing like a pvc tubed bottom under the gravel with like 3 or 4 openings so he could go in there and just hang. The tube the guy recommended at the pet store isnt exactly working. haha he doesnt like hanging in there for some reason. like i said he just hangs by the powerhead on the back tio right corner.

also my 2 pbass like swimming with him. They dont nip at him or anything....pretty cool

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Scarycakes;3273091; said:
i was thinking about constructing like a pvc tubed bottom under the gravel with like 3 or 4 openings so he could go in there and just hang. The tube the guy recommended at the pet store isnt exactly working. haha he doesnt like hanging in there for some reason. like i said he just hangs by the powerhead on the back tio right corner.

also my 2 pbass like swimming with him. They dont nip at him or anything....pretty cool
i just use a large slice of slate leaned up against the glass in the front... this way he goes in but i see him through the glass and he does not know it.... this way i always know how he is doing... mine is 14-15 inches now so this also takes care of the need for a bigger and bigger house.

Scarycakes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
Virginia beach
just a regular piece of slate leaned up against the glass? obviously cleaned and everything, but ill pick one up now and see how well it works thanks! :D

Scarycakes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
Virginia beach
just got him some slate, he still is just hanigng at the top by the power head but hopefully by tonight he will realize its there when he comes down to swim around. Ugh i was so sad they had a baby alligator gar for 20 at the pet store i wanted to buy him sooo bad but i was like no he will probably kill my gk and my peakocks

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have a 200gal with 2-8" bgks and not issues, i also have a silver aro and a florida gar they don't care if the knives are here or there. mine didn't like the tube so i have a skull, rocks and logs aswell as some live plants. they favorite food is neons! they only fought once when there was a housing shortage but now their good.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
benzjamin13;3272684; said:
Also be aware that they grow pretty slow while Pbass grow really fast. They may end up as a snack for the Pbass if he decides he's a little more hungrier than usual.
I was thinking the same thing. I haven't kept pbass, but I've seen 6" largemouth try to eat 5" largemouth bass which results in both of them dying. BGKs being slender fish could be in trouble even if the bass are only a tiny bit bigger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store