Black ghost knifefish, breathing heavy. HELP!

Apteronotus albifrons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Baltimore
Okay, so currently my black ghost knife fish that is 11'' long, is in a 29 gallon (normally in a 55 gal) tank. I am treating him for camallanus worms and have been for about 2 months now. He is reponding well to the treatments and even will take some shrimp from me while the levimisole (about 4-6ppm used) is present in the water. There is currently no levimisole in the water, I had stopped treatments after 3 days last wednesday and was planning on treating once again tonight. However, I am worried because he is breathing heavy, swimming vertically and slowly, and not feeding. I fear he will not make it. I did a 50% waterchange earlier today, I know for a fact that ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are not the problem because I checked this already today. I do waterchanges frequently usually every other day to every day (and always 50%). Several days after the last treatment he was behaving fairly normally, feeding, but now he has some minor bloating. My boyfriend believes he is having intestinal problems due to dead worms and possible damage due to necrotic tissues from holes created by the worms. Any help, thoughts, etc. would be very helpful. Thanks.
-Terri

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Epson salt may help if he's backed up with dead worms. Keep in mind that I know nothing about ghost knife or how much you should use. I know this is used on puffers with worms to help them pass. Have you seen anything come out of it's butt?

jdec

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
massachussetts
i would use the salt but go to a local fish store and ask how much to use

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store