Black Ghost tank mates question

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
So I currently have 4 ghosts. I wanted to check to be sure but, my dream community would consist of:
250g+ with;
Black Ghosts
Polypterus Endlicheris
Elephant noses
Gars (preferably alligator breed)

I have seen online that some people have been able to keep just about all of these breeds together in an monster community tank. My question is for anyone who has kept any or all of these breeds. Do they work together really?
My top priority is making sure my ghosts are comfortable especially since they are my favorite. I know they can live with Polypterus as I already have 1 with them. I had two, but being juveniles, one was able to jump out of the tank despite me trying to prevent that, and died.
However, I feed them differently and they don't compete or cause trouble for each other, in fact they seem to be pretty friendly with eachother.
So I aam mainly concerned about whether or not I can safely introduce elephant nose and maybe gar eventually?
I know this list is kind of rediculous with just ancient monster fish, but this is literally the only fish I want to keep.
So any advice on if it works fine or not, thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I wouldn’t keep the bgk with lower jaw polys. I’d suggest upper jaw polys. Ljs grow too fast compared the knives. Might get picked on or bit up. Unless the knives are adult and it’s kind of risky to me. Other is I wouldn’t keep lower jaw polys with elephants nose. The elephant nose will get eaten or get too stressed with polys. May not eat and won’t do well. Wouldn’t add the alligator gar in the mix. Get too big and the tankmates can become statistics.

I’d take out the polys and keep the other fish and maybe some pike characins instead.

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
I wouldn’t keep the bgk with lower jaw polys. I’d suggest upper jaw polys. Ljs grow too fast compared the knives. Might get picked on or bit up. Unless the knives are adult and it’s kind of risky to me. Other is I wouldn’t keep lower jaw polys with elephants nose. The elephant nose will get eaten or get too stressed with polys. May not eat and won’t do well. Wouldn’t add the alligator gar in the mix. Get too big and the tankmates can become statistics.

I’d take out the polys and keep the other fish and maybe some pike characins instead.
That is unfortunate news, but you're saying the other 3 are fine without the bichir, or that the bichir and gar won't work with the others?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That is unfortunate news, but you're saying the other 3 are fine without the bichir, or that the bichir and gar won't work with the others?
Bichir and gar won’t work with the others IMO.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not sure how well the knives and elephant nose will get on as both are electric pulse fish (albeit one pulse and the other wave) but it may work. Getting elephant nose to work with elephant nose will be a big enough challenge.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store