Black Hair?

acidburn470

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fort Collins
I have some black hair stuff growing off of some of my plants, not a lot and Im assuming its black haired algae and I was just wondering if thats something I need to be concerned about?

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
its hair algea, it'll quickly take over your tank, my 15 g has been infested, its under control now. No fish will eat it, so don't try that. Ive tried pl*co's, Ottocinclus, algea eaters, etc.

Best way to get rid of it is to scrap off what you have now and removed it from the tank, and do more frequient water changes, less light and less feeding.

if your really desperate and want to use chemicals, i'd recommend Green-X-.

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Dont bother with chemicals.. theyd never work just pull them out by hand during water changes. You could try using SAEs as well.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Ive had this black beard algea growing in my 55 gallon. I actually loved it. It starting to grow on my driftwood right in front of the power filter, so the water would flow right on the black algea and kind of make it flow around like grass in the breeze. It never affected my fish, so I left it alone.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
MarlboroMan said:
Ive had this black beard algea growing in my 55 gallon. I actually loved it. It starting to grow on my driftwood right in front of the power filter, so the water would flow right on the black algea and kind of make it flow around like grass in the breeze. It never affected my fish, so I left it alone.

If you can keep it under controll I think it looks cool:)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
At least it grows slower than the green variety.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store