Black lips?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Huh, I hope someone that's seen this before will chime in.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many cichlids of the genus Amphilophus can change into a myriad of colors throughout their lifetime.
Some start out with black or with other predominant colors and.... "in the parlance of our time" peel (never liked that term, because the color change has nothing to do with peeling).

The one above ended up like this (below)

Below is Amphilophus flaveolus as a juvie

below a little older

Some (Like the flaveolus above) develop more melanin as they age, and it sometimes happens very quickly.
Many of the Amphilophus in the hobby today, are hybrids, and as a result may display colors as certain delayed gene traits kick in.

Reactions: J. H. and brandyz

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
So even though its happening in a few hours time its just a color change? I am totallly fine with it I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be doing something different for him. I actually think he looks kind of cute with his "black lipstick" I am brand new to all these fish and just keep seeing these dumped fish at the store and have two now in different tanks. I can't take any others but I sure love the two I have. Now I just need to learn more about keeping them. Everyone here is so full of good knowledge!!

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Also this fish is already about 8-9ish inches long so I have no idea on age, but with my very limited knowledge isn't it close to full grown? So do they still change after that? I really appreciate everyone's input!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
This looks a lot like what happened to my tamasopoensis cichlid. Although he also developed black "spots" on his belly, his lips and the edges of his fins turned black and blotchy. I was told this was from a parasite that lives in snails, then transfers to fish, and ends it's life cycle in birds... so in aquariums, with no birds, It just infects a fish and eventually leaves to find birds and dies. But it can repeatedly go to and from snails and fish. I removed the snails from my tank, and the black spots seem to periodically move, but not go away. The fish is still very active and his behavior is normal- he is dominant in the tank. Has been this way for months now.
I'm not super convinced that either your fish or my fish is afflicted by the snail parasite. So I am not sure at all what is going on with your fish. But if he is acting normally, eating, and seems otherwise healthy- I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Just wanted to post an update. It was AMONIA burn!!!! It has taken my all week but he is back to his brilliabt orange self. Not a speck of black on it. Must have been the perfect storm when I was treating him for fungus the week before.

Reactions: mattison187

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
IMG_8093.JPG Here is a pic I just snapped of him. It has taken a week of lots of work,water changes, adding all kinds of good bacteria that stinks to high heaven.....ugggg but here he is.

Reactions: J. H.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Good job figuring out the issue. Now stay up on those water changes :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store