Black Nasty

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
ugly but cool
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... IMO they are gorgeous :) Although nobody meantioned they can stress easy, and develop bloat... Nice cichlid, but really require experience to raise them...

Reactions: NabeelBajnath

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
My favorite cichlid. I have a 14" male currently. He's a complete ***hole :)
He's the most personable cichlid I've kept to date, and I'll keep him the rest of his lifespan. My favorite thing is that he bangs on my lids when I walk by to get my attention. Hait's are the most under-rated CA/SA cichlid in my opinion.

Tips for keeping an adult:
-No glass heaters. Mine tries to shatter them. Titanium only if you want an in-tank heater. If you run a sump, use whatever heater you want in the sump.
-No filter extensions that hang deep in the tank. Mine bites them until they break and/or fall off and then plays with the broken pieces.
-I'd probably use a piece of sponge zip tied on the filter intake. Mine likes to spit sand in my filter intakes, and that tends to burn up motors or eat up the impellers.
-I like to use PFS for substrate. It's easy to clean, and gives them something to push around.
-No big/hard/heavy decorations in the tank. Mine would push around very large terra-cotta (sp???) pots and plastic decorations, and would slam them into the side of his aquarium. I think he would have eventually broken the aquarium from slamming stuff into the glass.
-I like to put some fake plants in the tank for him to push around. Gives him something to do.

I keep the temperature steady at 80 Deg.
Since they need a highish temperature, make sure you have a LOT of oxygenation. I run 2 AC110's and a big air pump on my 75 gallon. It seems to do the trick.
They tend to bloat and die if stressed. Keep the temperature stable, and Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate at 0/0/Super Low.
I feed only NLS Thera-A+. I think it's got a good mix of veggie and protien for this breed (and they NEED veggies to keep from bloating and dieing).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store