Black Sand???

frp13187

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Chicago
I'm in the process of trying to decide how I'm gonna aquascape my new 125 gallon tank and I wanted to see people's opinions on black sand as a substrate, as well as any pictures from people that use it. I'm thinking of using a black background with black Tahitian moon sand as a substrate and decorating it with driftwood, red lava rock, and bright green and red plants. Any input is appreciated!

Sugo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2009
Indonesia
Tht sounds really cool i mean it. Do post some pics when ur done setting it up.

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
I have black sand, its not tahitian moon sand but I love how it looks. Only downside is that you can spot a single fish turd from a mile away. Its like a black car kinda, every tiny spec of anything stands out like a sore thumb, so if you aren't a frequent and maticulous tank cleaner I would advise against black and say go for pool filter sand as it will deff hide any debris far better. If you are though go for it, it looks great as long as you keep it clean.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
I have this sand , it will never stay down. Its the white but still , it sticks to the glass giving a cloud effect. It gets on all my decos driftwood plants etc. The fish kick it up so high it floats for 5 mins and gets sucked up by my filters. its already ruined two ac110's and one rena xp3. If your using it for fish that cant kick up sand , i say go for it , otherwise .... worst sand ive ever bought.

G-Code

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2009
Oregon
I would post some pics but my wife is gone with my camera. Anyway... I agree with Err, black sand looks good but only when its clean. I just recently setup a 75 gallon with Tahitian Black moon sand and I find myself cleaning the tank 2 times a week now. I'm not sure if its good for my biological cycle to change it so often. If you decide to go with the black sand, I would recommend investing in a python vac that attaches to the faucet. It will make all of those water changes go much smoother. Good luck

joe the fish man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
orange county, ca.
It looks great when clean, but if you have big fish= big poop you will be cleaning every day to keep it clean. Mine stayed clean for what seems like only ten minutes after cleaning, It does look good though

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
G-Code;3816198; said:
I would post some pics but my wife is gone with my camera. Anyway... I agree with Err, black sand looks good but only when its clean. I just recently setup a 75 gallon with Tahitian Black moon sand and I find myself cleaning the tank 2 times a week now. I'm not sure if its good for my biological cycle to change it so often. If you decide to go with the black sand, I would recommend investing in a python vac that attaches to the faucet. It will make all of those water changes go much smoother. Good luck
I did that, and no extra water changes wont impact your bio filtration unless you dont de-chlorinate your water. I do 30% WC each week but to keep things looking sharp in between WC's I set up the current in my tank to collect up everything in two main corners and I just go in and do a quick vac, just suck up the poo pile. I can easily get the vast majority of it in 5g's then I just top everything off. Here is a pic. and those arent turds on the sand, some stray pea gravle made its way in on one of the anubis and I'm too lazy to pick each one out :naughty: but that will show you just how much things will stand out against it.

tank shot.JPG

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFCkQfpsZbo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFCkQfpsZbo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

Black Tahitian Moon Sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store