Black sand

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Trying to find a replacement for Caribsea black sand. It appears they have discontinued it till they can find a new source. So that means I am looking for a replacement.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Well, there is always black diamond. My only issue with it is that it is somewhat abrasive.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have also used black diamond blasting sand. I agree with the individual above, it can be abrasive which can lead to a few issues, and it is also very light. Though it did look very nice and is quite cheap.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I commented once that I had some black gravel (might have bought at petco or other LFS) a long time ago. After about 5 years + some of the color started to wear off (some whitish pebbles).
On the other hand I recently got some carib sea sand and had to deal with some diatom blooms. Has since settled down after planted cichlid tank has cycled well.
I don't think coated gravel will hurt and it would make sure the silica in the sand doesn't affect the water. Tahitian moon has been know to harm eartheaters. At least that is what I have read.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I commented once that I had some black gravel (might have bought at petco or other LFS) a long time ago. After about 5 years + some of the color started to wear off (some whitish pebbles).
On the other hand I recently got some carib sea sand and had to deal with some diatom blooms. Has since settled down after planted cichlid tank has cycled well.
I don't think coated gravel will hurt and it would make sure the silica in the sand doesn't affect the water. Tahitian moon has been know to harm eartheaters. At least that is what I have read.
I myself am sort of into the biotope thing so I prefer natural sand uncoated.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I haven't had any issues with the generic black sand from petco. It's comparable in size and texture to pool filter sand except it's black.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store