Black shark - unlikely giant in more ways than one

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The black shark is one of those fish that unsuspecting fish keepers come across and often regret it. And a monster that some, including myself, bought on purpose as a 2” tidler with character.
I guess some see a rival to the red tail shark which is often seen in tanks of 20 or more. The black shark is often seen as a loner, the shop only has one, but the price is good, and it must be rarer if they only have 1. That’s it, the fish has you hooked.
Obviously, it’s not particularly rare, and it’s not a shark, but give it a week in your community tank and wow who would know it’s not a shark, it has every occupant of the tank on guard of their lives the whole daylight hours. And wo betide any catfish that think he is sleeping at night, nope, they own the tank in darkness too.
That cute looking sleek black 2” tidler will, 5 years later be a 25” beast that rules the pond. One minute tearing round with the aggression of a Rottweiler and the speed of a greyhound and the next minute at the front glass trying to get into every photo you take. 0D864E72-877B-4234-8134-3567C1FA3B0F.jpegFA31701F-B956-4068-BF69-AAE47E54BF0B.jpeg6AA10BCF-640D-485C-9DBF-2D5A4D0183C4.jpegA583FCAB-6E8A-4395-9A9E-6D375178861B.jpeg0E6C1434-FC4D-461A-93EA-5B6B983D4BA9.jpeg
If you know what you are getting yourself into you will not regret it, a more characterful fish you will struggle to find, but be warned, every day could turn out to be a challenge especially if you have to rehouse tank mates or worse, your character fish!
I wouldn’t be without my 25” photo bully, but they are not for the faint hearted that’s for sure!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The beginning of a great thread. Thank you Dave!

Nope, not even close to this extent. Mine is too 5 years old but only 16" or so. Perhaps because it is a male. Just a throw in the dark. Lost its mate recently to jumping out. Here is our black shark thread FWIW: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7852432

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Mine was named B. A. For good reason, loved him until he"flew the coop" while I was away then I kept his dessicated husk on top of the tank lording it over the inhabitants for another month before tossing him out. Never stunk with that dried leathery hide of his

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I was one of the fools who unsuspectingly bought the 3 inch one from my LFS and put it in a 75G community years ago. Caused the ruckus of the century after it had been in there for 45 mins and didn't stop until I took it back a week later. I've never hated a fish so much. The LFS guys laughed and said they would take it back but no refund, Bunch of pricks, I was 15 and they didn't warn me about it before I purchased it, just said it was like a red tail shark but got a bit bigger!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
A few video clips where the black shark has behaved and not just tried to photo bomb.
In the third the 15” variagated Shark makes more of an appearance. Having the variagated shark in the same pond has calmed both of them down a bit.

I will try to get some better videos. This has shown me how much I try to video or photo round her and not of her! But also, just how much the giraffes love to get in there too!

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
A few video clips where the black shark has behaved and not just tried to photo bomb.
In the third the 15” variagated Shark makes more of an appearance. Having the variagated shark in the same pond has calmed both of them down a bit.

I will try to get some better videos. This has shown me how much I try to video or photo round her and not of her! But also, just how much the giraffes love to get in there too!
Ya I noticed the giraffe cats alot lol

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Well, I may be off my rocker but a month ago I bought 2, 3” black sharks. Currently both living together in a planted 4ft community tank and actively ignoring each other, which entails sticking to their own half of the tank, showing each other who is boss, but never actually going near each other either.
Always thought it would be good to give our resident 2ftr a couple more companions, after all they are supposed shoaling fish, although I don’t know many folk who keep more than one per tank/pond when they are larger. Interested to give it a go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store