Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
labeo said:
Can you tell me were you got that info? have you ever seen proof of a specimen getting to that size? its the first ive heard of it, how can a captive bred black shark outgrow a wild shark?.

I would love to see a 35in black shark btw if they did reach these proportions.
This may surprise you but, I actually look sh1t up...er, I meant to say 'research' prior to posting unless I'm relating personal experiences.

"Morulius chrysophekadion is one of the large cyprinids. The survey confirmed its distribution throughout the basin, from the northernmost stations in the Lao PDR and Thailand to the southernmost stations in Bassac and the Mekong delta in Viet Nam.

There is some variation in the maximum size attained by this fish in the four countries. In Viet Nam, maximum reported size of Morulius chrysophekadion was 40 cm (16"), while in Cambodia and the Lao PDR it was 70 cm (27"). In Thailand, fishes of 90 cm (35") were reported (about 7 kg), which is considerably higher than the maximum size of 60 cm (24"), reported by Rainboth (1996)." © 2006 Mekong River Commission.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Just searched and found the article. Interesting read. I'm still not convinced myself. Fishbase has the max size listed as 90cm also, but take a look at the pics on the fishbase page for the chrysophekadion and the two biggest ones on there are not chrysophekadion. I suspect that this mis-identification could well account for this size difference although I'm more than happy to be proved wrong :)

labeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
Oddball said:
This may surprise you but, I actually look sh1t up...er, I meant to say 'research' prior to posting unless I'm relating personal experiences.

Dont be such an upperty twat! i asked were you got the info you provided it, end off.

Btw iam with chichlas on this mis-identification is most likley what has happened.

slammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
Kentucky
www.shootersville.net
Oddball has provided evidence to support his position...your only posting opinion. Do you have any evidence to support you? I am very curious about this because I was also under the impression that 24" was about max. But I am not gonna dispute Oddball unless I have soomething to back it up. I think some research is in order.

Slam

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
labeo said:
Dont be such an upperty twat! i asked were you got the info you provided it, end off.

Btw iam with chichlas on this mis-identification is most likley what has happened.
That's just perfect. A 30year old feels he has to call me names. All I ever did was answer a question.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
slammer said:
Oddball has provided evidence to support his position...your only posting opinion. Do you have any evidence to support you? I am very curious about this because I was also under the impression that 24" was about max. But I am not gonna dispute Oddball unless I have soomething to back it up. I think some research is in order.

Slam
I'm not sure who you are referring to but if it was me then the evidence I presented was in fishbase. I'm not disputing what he says, but there are thousands of sources that say 24", and a couple that say 35". A "reported 90cm fish" from a fisherman is not evidence, pics and documentation is. So I am sticking with the mis-identification opinion as demonstrated by my evidence :) Although as I have already said, I am quite happy to be proved wrong when I see a 35" specimin, 'cos for me, one that big would be the mutts nuts.

labeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
Oddball said:
That's just perfect. A 30year old feels he has to call me names. All I ever did was answer a question.
Sorry for being a little harsh oddball but i thought you were a bit sarcastic in your responce!

As for there being black sharks growing to 35in i think we need a lot more evidence.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
labeo said:
Can you tell me were you got that info? have you ever seen proof of a specimen getting to that size? its the first ive heard of it, how can a captive bred black shark outgrow a wild shark?.

I would love to see a 35in black shark btw if they did reach these proportions.
There are several pond/pen raised fish that get bigger than the average wild ones (or at least bigger, faster), Butter cats, channa marulius, and zilli tilapia are reported to do this. the reason is fewer parasites, less predation, and a diet designed to maximize growth. Please note that they are pond or pen raised, not grown in fish tanks. Domestic goldfish and koi often exceed the wild ones in size due to long term selective breeding

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store