Black skirt tetras fin eaters ?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
My cichlids I've noticed have like torn fins and kinda beat up
You think it's the tetras getting them while they sleep ? Or can possibly be the little mean polleni cichlid he's the only Madagascar in the tank. Rest are most SA

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Idk about the little cichlid you mentioned, but my black widow (skirt, whatever you want to call them) tetras can be nippy when they want to.. I've found with mine that if they're in a large enough group they tend to keep the nipping among themselves and not bother tank mates... The ones in with my green terror haven't bothered her so far, just the usual bickering among themselves. :)

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I haven't found Polleni to be fin nippers per se, lots of chasing yes but not really fin nipping.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Idk about the little cichlid you mentioned, but my black widow (skirt, whatever you want to call them) tetras can be nippy when they want to.. I've found with mine that if they're in a large enough group they tend to keep the nipping among themselves and not bother tank mates... The ones in with my green terror haven't bothered her so far, just the usual bickering among themselves. :)
Oh okay I think I'm going to have to go get more bc I only have 4 and I feel like someone is messing with all my fish fins hope it's not somehingn worse like fin rot

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I haven't found Polleni to be fin nippers per se, lots of chasing yes but not really fin nipping.
Oh okay must be the tetras then
Unfortunately I will get rid of the polleni as well he has left some bad gashes on my keyholes he's such an evil fish
Defineitly will try them out in another tank setup in the future

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Oh okay I think I'm going to have to go get more bc I only have 4 and I feel like someone is messing with all my fish fins hope it's not somehingn worse like fin rot
If you have the tank space, probably try getting another five or six and see how that goes. :)

Fingers crossed its not something worse.. I guess there's only one way to find out...

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Oh okay must be the tetras then
Unfortunately I will get rid of the polleni as well he has left some bad gashes on my keyholes he's such an evil fish
Defineitly will try them out in another tank setup in the future
the polleni is probably your culprit then, i cant imagine black skirts nipping at cichlids unless they were significantly smaller than them

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Let me know if it turns out it is the black skirts. I wanted to get some later on, it won't if they will be a potential problem. :/

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I am for sure taking the polleni out he does seem to be the one messing with everyone little brute

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store