Black Wolf fish legal?

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Are black wolf fish legal in AZ? Since in the AZ restricted species list, it has wolfish in it, but as "32. Tiger fish, the species Hoplias malabaricus". Since it is only listing mala, does that mean the Black wolffish, "hoplias curupira" are legal since it is only listing that one species. I want to call the fish and wildlife myself but I want to know first hand info. I know that they get huge and they have always interested me. Or is the whole genus unlawful to own, or are both "hoplias curupira" and "hoplias aimara" legal to own?
Thanks, Jonathan

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
More than likely that all wolves big, or small are restricted. I could be wrong but look at snakeheads for example.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
More than likely that all wolves big, or small are restricted. I could be wrong but look at snakeheads for example.
I do believe it is only mala, since that is the only species listed on there. Similar to how It is illegal for a "Bony tongue, the species Arapaima gigas". So it may only be for a mala, since on the restricted species list, it list this for snakeheads "Snakehead, all species of the family Channidae". If it was for all wolfs, it would have said "Tigerfish, all species of the genus/family Hopilas". I may call the fish and wildlife since I can't find a way to email them. If anybody has the email for the office please tell me.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I believe you can get to oddball that way too, I'm not that familiar with how to navigate myself lol.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Alright, so I contacted the place I was looking at there black wolf fish, (AquaScapeOnline) to see if it is okay for them to sell me one, and I provided that on the restricted species list it only shows mala wolf fish. I'm going to see if it is okay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store