Blacktip reef shark complete care

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Thanks but like how much a day would I feed it
Depending on how many you have you could toss in however many mullet to swim around for them to eat and find out how long it takes them to eat x amount of fish per a minute or two. I suggest feeding once ever night

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Have you ever kept saltwater fish before?

If you haven't which by some of the questions I'd guess is the case, you should start smaller. Get a reasonable sized tank and learn how to keep saltwater fish first. Sharks especially the type you are looking at are not for beginners in fact I'd put them in the expert catagory. Once you start keeping some saltwater fish you'll gain some of the basic knowledge that will cover some of the questions you've asked.

Like tlindsey tlindsey I've kept the benthic species which is a totally different ball game. I wouldn't call it little league but it's also definitely not pro like you're looking at.

That type of shark is going to be moving almost constantly, there for it will be burning more calories. I'm guessing multiple smaller meals throughout the day would be needed. I agree with others that squid, octopus and marine fish should be the bulk of the diet.

Filtration will need to be top notch. Large skimmer, huge pumps, multiple bead filters, thousands of pounds of live rock, or someone very ingenuous at designing filtration systems.

I bet just feeding and the monthly bills on something like this would be more then I make in a year. Lol

I'm not trying to sound harsh or mean. This is a huge investment both time and money and huge undertaking in general. Welcome and I hope this is actually something you can do and take us with you during the journey.

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
One of the local pet stores here in Cincinnati had black tips and a giant bumblebee grouper for years. They just lost them after I want to say 10 or 15 years. There's definitely better species to keep if you want the shark look I always push people towards hound sharks. Still shouldn't be done by most people but far more reasonable then black tips.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
One of the local pet stores here in Cincinnati had black tips and a giant bumblebee grouper for years. They just lost them after I want to say 10 or 15 years. There's definitely better species to keep if you want the shark look I always push people towards hound sharks. Still shouldn't be done by most people but far more reasonable then black tips.

What's the tank the black tips are in? Concrete?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Wow thanks for sharing

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store