Blasting sand users

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Has anyone had any first hand experiences with black diamond blasting sand over a long period? I've seen a few short posts all over the internet about using it, but no follow up. I've seen everything from it works great to its too sharp and can damage bottom feeders and shifters.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve had black diamond in three of my tanks with geos and corydoras without any problems.
One tank has been setup for five years with it.
I use it in a planted tank as well.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive used it off and on for a really long time with lots of different fish. And no real issues I could see. I had/have it in with my geo topajo hes fine with it.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
That's good too hear. I've been looking for first hand experiences. Guess I'll head out and start washing mine. Any tips on that? I normally just dump pool filter sand in without washing and it has very little cloudiness.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Since this is coal slag it will have an oily residue at first also some will float and they may be some extra fine dust.
I place mine in a five gallon bucket and rinse with hose till I’m satisfied.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Since this is coal slag it will have an oily residue at first also some will float and they may be some extra fine dust.
I place mine in a five gallon bucket and rinse with hose till I’m satisfied.
That's the plan. Did you bother running a magnet around to catch an bigger metal pieces? I saw a guy on youtube recommend doing so.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
No I didn’t.
Like I say I’ve had this in some of my tanks for about five years. I didn’t know that could be an issue.
If you think metal may be in it then I would try it, see if you get anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store