BLOAT - Photos & Treatment

stitchingeek

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2009
canada
Oddball, this is my first post here and I will admit that i know NOTHING about the Pirahna that we own. My boyfriend "inherited" it about 3 years ago and we feed it Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets.

Recently our fish has become extremely bloated but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between dropsy and bloat. I will attempt to upload a pic to show you. Can you offer some advice? I want to make sure to try and give the correct medicine but notice in your posts that they differ.

Thanks!!
Myrna

Jun 7 09 Pirahna.JPG

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
This thread will never be old news.. it is so helpful when you need it...

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
I need question answered.. and this should be a sticky!!!

i thought Metronidazole is used to treat Velvet... But is velvet and bloat connected in some way???

I was sucessful in treating my fish that had a nasty case of velvet.. took about 1 month.. but i was finally able to eradicate the parasite... but.. i'm curious if metro is also good for bloating and if velvet and Bloat are two different things???

Thanks Oddball great threat..

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
This link is already attached to a sticky guide, Freshwater Disease Guide.

Yes, velvet being parasitic itself can connect to bloating. Bloating would be secondary problem in which case the first issue you must treat for is velvet before tackling bloat. Bloating is best tackled in general by using medicated foods. Mix metro with foods.

Edit: I should have added that there are many causes of bloating although most of it is bacterial in nature.

BeavisMom62

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2010
Central FL
I have a goldfish with dropsy and I've been advised both for and against regular salt. I'm afraid to use salt in case this dropsy is related to renal failure and/or fluid build up. I don't want to make it worse. Epsom salt seems much safer in my opinion. Can you use metro with Epsom salt, or just with regular salt?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
BeavisMom62;3953351; said:
I have a goldfish with dropsy and I've been advised both for and against regular salt. I'm afraid to use salt in case this dropsy is related to renal failure and/or fluid build up. I don't want to make it worse. Epsom salt seems much safer in my opinion. Can you use metro with Epsom salt, or just with regular salt?
BeavisMom62;3953438; said:
I thought metro was an antifungal not an antibiotic?
Hey Beavismom!

Either epsom salt or regular salt can be used with metro. Metro is antibiotic for internal infections.

Nice to meet you here.:cheers:

BeavisMom62

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2010
Central FL
Hi, Lupin. I"m following you around! Just trying to get a handle on my poor goldie problem and have been all over the internet today.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Yes, I do hope to see more updates and even improvements of your goldfish.:)

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
ok, i have a couple flowerhorns from thailand, i treated so far with jungle parasite medication. its only one main fish, he has a bloated belly and white poop, what should i treat him with? Clout? i have tried the metro+ and nothing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store