bloated juvenile oscar help!

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hello MFK community, my juvenile oscar (around 6-8") has been bloated for nearly a month now.. and at this point im not really sure what to do. The bloating has fluctuated a little bit imo.. however it could just be a change in perception as i havent taken many pictures. Im not thinking dropsy as she doesn't have scales sticking out or any other noticeable symptoms. She still eats and everything. the only other health problem was a slight case of hith when she was younger. anyone have any ideas as to what couldve caused it

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Is the oscar pooping? If you don't feed for 1 week does the bloating go down? (a 6-8" oscar can easily skip feeding for 1 month with no detriment to health).

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Is the oscar pooping? If you don't feed for 1 week does the bloating go down? (a 6-8" oscar can easily skip feeding for 1 month with no detriment to health).
i fasted the whole aquarium for 4 days (because she will try to steal from the other fish if i feed them) it seemed to go down a little but like i said coulda just been a change in perception

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You have to see if the black oscar is pooping properly. It could have an intestinal blockage from the gravel in your aquarium. Putting it in a cycled quarantine tank with no substrate will make it easier to see the poo.

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
You have to see if the black oscar is pooping properly. It could have an intestinal blockage from the gravel in your aquarium. Putting it in a cycled quarantine tank with no substrate will make it easier to see the poo.
okay thank you i have an open 20g long is that big enough for a few days? its 11"Wx30"L

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store