Bloated stomach ornate bichir

mrmusky1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2019
Food should be controlled with any fish not just poly. Cb ornate like this dont have controll and it will pig out every feeding time. What are the tankmates of the ornate?
Right now it is just a few baby sailfin mollies. The issue o do not believe is a matter of the ornate over eating. Ill feed him one tiny pellet and then he blows up. Amount of food fed does not make very much difference in how much he gets bloated. I guess i will continue to keep him and see what happens. I just feel bad that i have to wait a week inbetween every feeding.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Right now it is just a few baby sailfin mollies. The issue o do not believe is a matter of the ornate over eating. Ill feed him one tiny pellet and then he blows up. Amount of food fed does not make very much difference in how much he gets bloated. I guess i will continue to keep him and see what happens. I just feel bad that i have to wait a week inbetween every feeding.
Does the mollies fit the ornates mouth? You said the ornate is 5” and how big are the mollies? Have you check water perimiters?

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Try soaking the pellets?
I trust the opinions of the more experienced poly keepers here. But that may also be a contributing factor. Soak his food to get any air out of it. Every little bit may help.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

mrmusky1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2019
Does the mollies fit the ornates mouth? You said the ornate is 5” and how big are the mollies? Have you check water perimiters?
He doesnt seemto be interested in or bother the mollies. If he wanted to he could eat them but they have been in the tank together for months now with no interaction between them. Water parameters are fine everything is 0 ph is at 7.6. He is in an established tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just to add

Dont fear starving the fish while this bloating subsides. Ive had one poly go almost 2 months with out eating

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
He doesnt seemto be interested in or bother the mollies. If he wanted to he could eat them but they have been in the tank together for months now with no interaction between them. Water parameters are fine everything is 0 ph is at 7.6. He is in an established tank.
Nitrates shouldnt be 0

Assuming they arent i would go through an epsom salt treatment then not feed for 2 weeks. Make sure the bloating goes down.

Then document (here) with pics every feeding.

Wonder if this could be bacterial but since this happens only after feeding it most likely isnt

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store