Block pond ideas needed

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve decided wintering koi outside is a risk I’m not willing to take anymore.
Now I need some help with ideas for a basement holding pond.
It would be so much easier if I could just buy a big plastic tote/holding tank and call it a day. Haha. But the stairs to the basement is so low my husband has to duck to go down the steps.
Building a pond is my only option.

A plywood build would be easiest, but.... my basement is unfinished for a reason. The floor leaks when the water table is high. Years like this my basement floor will have streams of water running to the floor drain. It’s sucks, but it’s what you get with an older home I guess.

So I’d like to build a cement block pond and use a liner. I feel that is the best way I can prevent any molding/rot issues.

I have a few questions.

1. Should I use rebar?
I want it to be at least 36” tall, likely 4’ wide and length 9’ feet maybe. I need to get measurements still of the space.

2. Does it need to be cemented to the floor?
I’d rather not, but will do it if that’s required. The blocks will all be cemented together.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I need to figure out exactly what I’m doing so I can make a shopping list:)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ve decided wintering koi outside is a risk I’m not willing to take anymore.
Now I need some help with ideas for a basement holding pond.
It would be so much easier if I could just buy a big plastic tote/holding tank and call it a day. Haha. But the stairs to the basement is so low my husband has to duck to go down the steps.
Building a pond is my only option.

A plywood build would be easiest, but.... my basement is unfinished for a reason. The floor leaks when the water table is high. Years like this my basement floor will have streams of water running to the floor drain. It’s sucks, but it’s what you get with an older home I guess.

So I’d like to build a cement block pond and use a liner. I feel that is the best way I can prevent any molding/rot issues.

I have a few questions.

1. Should I use rebar?
I want it to be at least 36” tall, likely 4’ wide and length 9’ feet maybe. I need to get measurements still of the space.

2. Does it need to be cemented to the floor?
I’d rather not, but will do it if that’s required. The blocks will all be cemented together.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I need to figure out exactly what I’m doing so I can make a shopping list:)

Hope this helps

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
there is more on YouTube.
I didn’t even think to check YouTube. Thank you!
I like the look of this one, but definitely need to build one bigger then that. He did a nice job though. Those blocks make it look nicer then just the basic cement blocks.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I didn’t even think to check YouTube. Thank you!
I like the look of this one, but definitely need to build one bigger then that. He did a nice job though. Those blocks make it look nicer then just the basic cement blocks.

Yes agree about being creative with paving blocks.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You can slice poly aquaculture and fiberglass tanks in half and re-join them. Contact Plastic welders (OR fiberglassers) in your Area.

Some of the open top poly tanks can be ratchet belted down quite a bit. I squeezed a 3.6m diameter round tub through a 2.4m wide garage door with 2 people.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You can slice poly aquaculture and fiberglass tanks in half and re-join them. Contact Plastic welders (OR fiberglassers) in your Area.

Some of the open top poly tanks can be ratchet belted down quite a bit. I squeezed a 3.6m diameter round tub through a 2.4m wide garage door with 2 people.
I’ll take a look at those. My stairs are very narrow and low though, for the size I’d need it would probably be cut into 4 pieces at least:/ I’m not sure I’d like.

How about something similar to Intex pool, you can dismantle during the summer to save space
I’ve already got this route before. Haha. It lasted two winters before needing to be replaced. I want something longer lasting this time.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I’ll take a look at those. My stairs are very narrow and low though, for the size I’d need it would probably be cut into 4 pieces at least:/ I’m not sure I’d like.

I’ve already got this route before. Haha. It lasted two winters before needing to be replaced. I want something longer lasting this time.
If you do brick , rem to do viewing window... it be very nice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store