Blood and Chilli red differentiation

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
A chilli red IMO is more of a brighter red. The blood reds that I have seen are a darker red. The chillis tend to cost more.

deepRED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Coquitlam
I believe that Chili Red's have more of a spoon head and a diamond shaped tail, whereas the Blood Red has a rounder head and more of a fan-shaped tail.
The coloration is obviously a factor. Usually blood red's have a darker base color whereas most chilis have more of a greenish base color.

These two arowana types are actually from different regions in the wild, but since we only get farm raised fish it's hard to say what type of arowana it may be when juvenile. The only real way of telling is buying a fish in more advanced adult coloration.

deepRED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Coquitlam
I was told that at most farms they have different varieties in each pond, due to the fact that pairing of the adult fish is not very easy. So basically they have more fish to give "more chance" for spawning to occur.

Not too sure about the validity of this, cause it would make more sense to have single variety ponds in order to keep purer strains.
At any rate, with red arowanas you can't really tell what type they are when they are really young. Once they get big enough to show some scale and fin color they are then graded and sold.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Nowdays its quite difficult to tell them apart. Most farms just dump both specied together into the same pond. So the results.........

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store