Blood Parrots as Mbuna tank mates?

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
I have seen it done on quite a few tanks and I was wondering have any of my fellow fish friends here have been successful with this.

P.S. I already know what works for some may not work for others.

I would like to hear both sides, success or not.

Thanks ahead for your time and feedback.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Lots of people have done lots of things in this hobby & proclaimed "success", but personally I wouldn't do it. Mbuna are simply too fast, often too aggro and potentially fin nippy to be kept with such a large, slow, deformed fish. It just doesn't seem to be a mix that makes sense to me. IMO it makes about as much sense as mixing goldfish with mbuna.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I had a bluegill in with mine a while ago. Everyone except the blue tiger striped psudotrouphus elongatus, and brooding females pretty much ignored him.

Something with some creek chubs.

My pseudo trophus elongatus, in the top tank, fight all the time, with out females around.

Their little jerks, that attack the pleco, mag scraper, even my razor glass scraper.

But they mostly just guard their private rock.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Lots of people have done lots of things in this hobby & proclaimed "success", but personally I wouldn't do it. Mbuna are simply too fast, often too aggro and potentially fin nippy to be kept with such a large, slow, deformed fish. It just doesn't seem to be a mix that makes sense to me. IMO it makes about as much sense as mixing goldfish with mbuna.
Thank you. I just felt some red would be pleasing. But you are right. After some research they aren’t able to hold there own in Mbuna tank. Their mouths etc. not being able to fight back or even defend themselves.

I had a bluegill in with mine a while ago. Everyone except the blue tiger striped psudotrouphus elongatus, and brooding females pretty much ignored him.

Something with some creek chubs.

My pseudo trophus elongatus, in the top tank, fight all the time, with out females around.

Their little jerks, that attack the pleco, mag scraper, even my razor glass scraper.

But they mostly just guard their private rock.
That’s funny because I once added a few bluegill to an mbuna tank and they almost killed all my mbuna overnight. I’ll never do that again.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Thank you. I just felt some red would be pleasing. But you are right. After some research they aren’t able to hold there own in Mbuna tank. Their mouths etc. not being able to fight back or even defend themselves.

That’s funny because I once added a few bluegill to an mbuna tank and they almost killed all my mbuna overnight. I’ll never do that again.
Mine was about 3/4" till 1.5" and he jumped. Red ear sunfish, to be exact.

None of my fish are worth more than feeder prices. Except maybe my German red.

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store